3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing Comp 268 Cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 PM
rowdog_14
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsUhHemi
I noticed in the video your truck was shifting at 6k RPM's...Are you still shifting that high??
Yep still shifting at 6k, this cams rpm range is 1500-5800.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 PM
rowdog_14

New complete video of truck

Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Originally Posted by rowdog_14
New complete video of truck

http://youtu.be/Jaogt4Ol5kQ
Awesome video man I watched every second of it. I wish you lived closer so I could see that thing in person lol. I can't wait to get those mods on my Daytona. You def need to get some better lookin rims though . Oh and a big thumbs up for you getting the wife to help make the vid!!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 AM
DanielHemi

As a method of madness, I have the same cam in my truck, the 268/272.

A word of advice: Advance your cam timing one notch. It has 54 teeth on the cam gear, advancing it one notch will give it about 6.8 degrees advance over stock. Since this cam is normal power up to 1500 rpm, and then considerable gains (54 hp at 5700 I think, it will extend power into higher rpm than that) starting at 1500rpm, the hp curve will lower about 400rpm, to kick in at 1100 rpm, maybe a little lower. It will be quicker off the line and it will give the powerband better use, up to and past 6000rpm. I saw another forum where a guy with a 2003 Jeep Patriot (?) Hemi did the same cam as us but did the one tooth advance and picked up a load of mileage. He claimed a very best of 27mpg on the highway. I have gotten 22 in mine with the stock motor and a Superchips tuner, and now I get about 18mpg with the build, without a decent tune on crappy Oregon gas. Also, he said that he got more horsepower, and of course better low end grunt. I have heard that cam timing like this can really help in the power and mileage areas, as the valves are shut completely when the piston starts traveling up in the cylinder, so you get the full compression out of the cylinder stroke. A mechanic I know did this in a SBC and picked up almost 50whp in a stock 5.3, as well as 5mpg, with no tune. Makes you wonder....

Just so you know.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM
rowdog_14

Originally Posted by DanielHemi
As a method of madness, I have the same cam in my truck, the 268/272.

A word of advice: Advance your cam timing one notch. It has 54 teeth on the cam gear, advancing it one notch will give it about 6.8 degrees advance over stock. Since this cam is normal power up to 1500 rpm, and then considerable gains (54 hp at 5700 I think, it will extend power into higher rpm than that) starting at 1500rpm, the hp curve will lower about 400rpm, to kick in at 1100 rpm, maybe a little lower. It will be quicker off the line and it will give the powerband better use, up to and past 6000rpm. I saw another forum where a guy with a 2003 Jeep Patriot (?) Hemi did the same cam as us but did the one tooth advance and picked up a load of mileage. He claimed a very best of 27mpg on the highway. I have gotten 22 in mine with the stock motor and a Superchips tuner, and now I get about 18mpg with the build, without a decent tune on crappy Oregon gas. Also, he said that he got more horsepower, and of course better low end grunt. I have heard that cam timing like this can really help in the power and mileage areas, as the valves are shut completely when the piston starts traveling up in the cylinder, so you get the full compression out of the cylinder stroke. A mechanic I know did this in a SBC and picked up almost 50whp in a stock 5.3, as well as 5mpg, with no tune. Makes you wonder....

Just so you know.
Yeah I was told that by a few people, but I just kept it at factory timing. Thanks for the info though.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 AM
lazyboy
Rookie

Thanks for sharing very nice ride

Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 AM
rowdog_14

Originally Posted by lazyboy
Thanks for sharing very nice ride
No problem. I love seeing videos and pictures of people and their upgrades. I was blessed to upgrade my stuff and wanted to share. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Installing Comp 268 Cam