3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 1500 4.7 Knocking. But not cold, and not when warmed up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by swamper
only way you will ever find out is to take it to a mechanic.I would just ask them to take a listen to see what they think it is.im sure they wont charge you.
You're absolutely right. Though I doubt a shop would do a free diagnosis. I've got a friend who is a mechanic, though. Maybe he'll take a look at it for me in exchange for a beer.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM
BIGTEXDODGE
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i didn't watch the video

Old 12-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Prismatic
All Star

Hey guys, found another thread where a user had the same problem. They also posted a video clip of the sound, and it's identical.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...de-engine.html

Old 12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
swamper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prismatic
You're absolutely right. Though I doubt a shop would do a free diagnosis. I've got a friend who is a mechanic, though. Maybe he'll take a look at it for me in exchange for a beer.
lol your right I have a mechanic buddy too and if i gave him a case of beer he would fix anything for free.just make sure he drinks the beer after he fixes it lol.I hope you find the problem soon.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Prismatic
All Star

Hey guys, just to update this thread for anyone who might run a search and hit on it..

I took it to my buddy, who also has a Ram, though its got the Hemi. He listened to mine, said yup, it's a dodge. He said it's most likely a wrist pin, and unless it gets worse it's nothing to worry about, even that didn't settle my nerves, so he fired up his truck.

Knock knock knock sang the dodge.

So thats that for now. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: 2002 1500 4.7 Knocking. But not cold, and not when warmed up.