3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 PM
sbates26
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turns over but won't start

I started my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 ltr truck this afternoon to warm it up (cold and snowy out). After about 5-10 minutes went back outside. Strange noise coming from engine (driver side), white smoke and bad antifreeze smell. Turned truck off then tried to start again and it wouldn't start up. It turned over but wouldn't start. Then I popped the hood, even stronger antifreeze smell but only some small splatter drops on the right side (which may or may not have been antifreeze). Checked all fuses. Checked oil (no antifreeze), checked antifreeze reservoir (no oil). There is a small amount of watery oily residue "pooled" on the drivers side of the engine block. I can see a sensor but don't know what it is. What could be causing this? I also checked inside passenger floor (no wetness or odor). Previously had problems with no heat (and still do) but had blendor replaced a year ago along with water pump, radiator, and a multitude of other things. The engine light is on but the OBD indicates "done" so there are no codes. Battery is less than a year old. I will need to have this towed somewhere tomorrow because I can't figure this out and we can't be without this vehicle. I very well may have more than one problem here but would like to start with the truck not starting. What a way to start the new year!

Last edited by sbates26; 01-01-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has it over-heated recently? The coolant smell could be a blown head gasket. If you have a CEL, there are some codes somewhere. Do you have a code reader?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM
sbates26

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Has it over-heated recently? The coolant smell could be a blown head gasket. If you have a CEL, there are some codes somewhere. Do you have a code reader?
No it hasn't overheated. Wouldn't I see fluid somewhere if blown gasket? I didn't think a gasket would cause it not to start. No code reader. Going out again this morning to see if any change.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM
sbates26
Default started but still problems

Well the truck started this morning, let it run. Seems ok but now ABS and Brake lights showing and speedometer doesn't work. The fan will also not turn on at all when it did yesterday. I'm pretty sure we have more than one issue here. What a mess. I only hope the problems are fixable. Can't afford a new vehicle or costly repairs just like everyone else in my situation.

Well drove it up to shop. Everything started and looked normal. They did a system pressure check and all looked good. They checked the starter and said it was pumping out more than 7 times the amount it should. So they are replacing the starter to see if that is the problem. Thankfully the shop isn't charging me for diagnosis up to this point but may have to if the starter isn't the problem.

Last edited by sbates26; 01-02-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: Turns over but won't start