3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi smokes under load/acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 AM
DanielHemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi smokes under load/acceleration

Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 Hemi Ram, built very nicely.. Last week when I started it, after it set for about a month, the engine had a dead miss on #3. I figured it was a sticky lifter, so I did an engine flush and changed the oil, to no avail. I pulled the plugs on #3, and both of them had the electrode and ground bent shut, we're talking NO GAP, hence the dead miss on #3. Since this is a non-interference motor, I was baffled. After talking to many engine enthusiast and motor head types, including my machinist, it was concluded that there may have been ice buildup in the cylinder, since the weather here has been cold and rainy, then snowy, then freezing, and it may have had that cylinder open just enough to allow condensation to build up and then freeze for ice buildup, causing interference. My neighbor, who races, said he had seen this happen before on occasion with other folks. But, it has happened very little.
So, I changed the plugs, re-gapped them of course and added crush washers to raise them up in the cylinder, just in case, then fired it up and it ran normally. Lots of power, does a really good burn off.
So, yesterday, my sweetheart and I went for breakfast, and while driving home I noticed that it smokes, we're talking bug fogger, while under acceleration or load. Would this be valve guides/seals, or maybe a broken oil ring? I am irritated as heck because either way I need to pull the head on the driver's side, and it is tight under there. At least it will give me reason to do the cam timing while I am there...
Also, it does not make any clacking or other abnormal engine noise.
Thoughts please?

Thanks Guys,
Dan

Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Hows the coolant level? Hows the oil level? Poss head gasket.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is white smoke under load you've got a blown head gasket or a cracked block between a cylinder and one of the coolant jackets.

If it is blue smoke under load you've likely got a broken piston ring, and you'll have to tear into it to find out...

If you want to be sure what it is, then do compression and leak down tests and go from there.

Also if you haven't already take those washers out of there, you might be leaking some compression passed the washers, and/or you might not be getting a good enough burn during the firing stroke...

Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 PM
DanielHemi
Default Smokin'

Hello again, Gentlemen,

Thank you for the input on this, it has helped a lot. When the blistering cold wind dies down I will be checking it out. After your collective inputs, I am leaning toward head gasket because it started to smoke after it warmed up and then sat for a bit, then was restarted and driven. Since it was hot then cold then hot again, I am guessing the expansion in the metals sent it over the top. It's not burning oil, that is an unmistakable smell and it hangs around. Regardless, it will get the head removed at my next available convenience. Wahoo. I still would rather push this than drive a Ford.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have coolant in the cylinder and the plug bent possibly due to ice build-up...hate to say it but that;s not a good sign! That means your coolant is bad and is not protected against freezing. That could mean you may have a cracked head!!!!!!!!
I'd have the head checked out or atleast use a magnifying glass to inspect every inch of it, especially between the combustion chamber and the coolant jackets. Make sure you look into the exhaust and intake ports as well.

If you had or still have a sticky lifter, there's obviously crud built up in there. I would pour 1qt of Marvel Mystery oil in there and run it at operating temps for atleast 1hr and change your oil. RPMs must vary like drive the truck and put a load on it(foot to floor), that will help clean it up.

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-03-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
DanielHemi
Default Not coolant

I don't think that coolant was leaking into the cylinder, otherwise it would have been fogging for a while. I would have had temperature fluctuations and the coolant level would have dropped a bit. It sat for about a month without being started and ran before this problem showed up. That's why I was leaning towards condensation gathering in the cylinder and freezing. I still have not been able to check the oil and coolant because of high winds threatening to rip off the hood when I open it, and I am not in a big hurry to get it on the road. Of course, to rule out the possibility of coolant in the cylinder would be premature. I think the coolant is mixed properly, but who knows for sure? It may very well be a cracked head or cylinder sleeve, like you said. I am hoping its a gasket just for my own sake. If the head gasket is bad, it would explain coolant getting into the cylinder and freezing. At this point, nothing will be ruled out.

I did the engine flush, and if a lifter was sticking it isn't anymore. It may have been missing or making noise from interference in the cylinder. Regardless, I will check the head thoroughly to make sure valves are not bent and the head is not cracked like you said. It just needs taken apart so I can have a look.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 AM
sabin420
Captain

Yes it is an interference motor. I got a whole slew of bent valves from a timing chain jumping sprocket. A non-interference motor means the valves will not touch the pistons if the valves were all open and you rotate the crank. Here's what happens when the timing is one tooth off.

Having water in your engine will cause a white smoke. I've had a dodge neon blow a head gasket without the motor even running. I stopped at a gas station. Filled up, went inside and used the bathroom, got me some roller food and took my sweet time. Walking back out to the car, just before opening the door, the gasket gave out and white smoke came pouring out from under the hood.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:29 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP. Being an 03 and all..... Are you sure it isn't a valve spring failure?
02 & 03 Hemis are noted for this type of failure.
Al.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmby
To the OP. Being an 03 and all..... Are you sure it isn't a valve spring failure?
02 & 03 Hemis are noted for this type of failure.
Al.

we were hoping that during his entire motor build that he would have updated the springs... but I don't have his full build sheet so we can't even begin to speculate what it could be without breaking the motor down and giving it a good once over.

Without a leak down test we REALLY wont know what it could be until he pulls it apart... that's why I suggested a compression and leak down test to begin with...

Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izero
we were hoping that during his entire motor build that he would have updated the springs... but I don't have his full build sheet so we can't even begin to speculate what it could be without breaking the motor down and giving it a good once over.

Without a leak down test we REALLY wont know what it could be until he pulls it apart... that's why I suggested a compression and leak down test to begin with...
Agreed....needs further testing as suggested.
To the OP. Did you upgrade the springs as Izero asks??

Al.

Quick Reply: Hemi smokes under load/acceleration