3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check to see if my mileage was tampered with..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Nikki00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check to see if my mileage was tampered with..?

Is there a way to check actual mileage on a 2006 ram? I bought my truck used and was told it had 40,000 miles, but have had so many issues with it already (the latest being a new water pump) things that seem like they shouldnt be bad already. Can a dealership hook it up to a computer or something to check for me?
I knew someone who disconnected their odometer (digital) on a 2004 car very easily (something to do with a fuse) I was just thinking perhaps this could have happened to a my truck? Carfax report says besides dealerships the truck had 1 owner and they only put on less then 20,000 in 5 years and then like 22,000 in the last year. No other records are on the report.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...s-section.html

I will move this to the right section for you.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is very difficult to tamper with modern odometers so I highly doubt that is the case. Some trucks are just lemons and have a lot of issues early on. You just got a bad truck I would say or it was just abused heavily.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 AM
sabin420
Captain

You can keep the odometer from turning by disconnecting the speed sensor. Someone might have done that to hold onto more of a resale value from buying a new vehicle. Then re-connect it when the truck was paid off.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 AM
dakotatrevor
Professional

The mileage is recorded in the cluster as well as the pcm I believe.

I only came across this because I noticed the 2 were different on my truck when playing with the scan tool...I wasn't too concerned, the pcm mileage was less than the cluster mileage reads.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the pcm contains this data to prevent fraudulent mileage claims. You'll need to take it to a dealer with the starscan tool to pull this out.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 AM
abarmby
Champion

So.... If you pull the speed sensor off the rear diff....will this stop being recorded??
Or is the pcm clever enough to get the info from some place else??
I hope so as this would make a mockery of mileage recording.
Al.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The speedometer and odometer will definitely stop if you pull the speed sensor. I didn't think the PCM stored the mileage.

If there is no speed sensor, how would the PCM know how many miles you've traveled?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure, but there are usually fail-safes for that type of issue, I highly doubt someone would disconnect the speed sensor for that purpose.

Back to the OP's question, yes go to any dodge dealer and have them check the PCM's mileage and see if there is a discrepancy, they will charge you $90 diagnostic fee, but if you do find out that there is more miles on the truck than it reads, you will have a very nice lawsuit claim, in which you can re-coupe your purchase price plus any additional expenditures to repair parts, and if your Lawyer is good enough you might even be able to walk away with Triple Damages depending on your state's laws.

It is ILLEGAL to tamper with a vehicles odometer without providing the state with paperwork stating a repair was required that alters the odometer readout, those types of reports show up on a CARFAX report, so I would suggest that you run one of those on your truck too.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Disconnecting the speed sensor will render the transmission almost inoperable. At the very least you would have no overdrive, not to mention codes being thrown. I tried to do it with my 94 (I know, chastise me, but I was driving 20k a year, and still a kid) and when I did, I lost overdrive. I reconnected it immediately, and never thought of tampering since. I can't imagine what precautions the industry has put in place since then. I highly doubt your mileage has been altered.

Quick Reply: Check to see if my mileage was tampered with..?