3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird vibration/noise when braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 AM
jdr5095
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird vibration/noise when braking

I am currently trying to figure out an issue that I am having with my '04 ram 1500 and am hoping you all may have a solution. When I am braking to a stop, my truck vibrates rather violently. The vibration seems to be generated from the front of the vehicle, but I'm no expert. I've had this problem for some time now; I've replaced all the rotors/pads on the truck, and this last time I replaced the front calipers, rotors, and pads, and the problem seems diminished (although not totally gone) for a few hours of driving, but then it comes back, sometimes worse than before. I've had several mechanics say its the rotors, but it doesn't seem to be the lasting solution. Yesterday I had our company mechanic just take it for a spin, and he seems to think that the issue is neither rotors or the bearings, and is frankly stumped as well. So, there's the issue, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suspend the entire front end on the frame and check the front end over, particularly the ball joints and steering components to ensure nothing has become worn or loose. Also check he front bearing hubs to ensure they are not worn.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 AM
jdr5095

I will do that...thank-you much

Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jdr,

Keep us posted on the outcome after you look at it. If you need additional assistance feel free to PM me!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will bet it is either tie rod end(s) or wheel bearing(s) that are bad... might also be that the wheels are mated 100% to the hub/rotor surface...

When you have the truck up in the air check the tie rod ends, and the wheel bearings (wheel bearings can be checked by pushing/pulling the top and bottom of each wheel from the side to check for play. or by spinning the wheels while in neutral to check for a metal grinding/rubbing sound from the bearing.)

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM
jdr5095

Thank-you for all the recommendations; I had a friend more mechanically minded than myself look at it and he found out that it was actually the rear rotors causing the vibration. We replaced them and now my truck brakes normally. Now I have another issue...

Recently, I got caught in a snow storm and had to go into 4x4 to keep on the road. After engaging the 4x4, I found that the truck wanted to pull pretty significantly to the right. Then, when I disengaged the 4x4, it didn't transfer immediately into 2 wheel, and when it did, there was a clunk that I both heard and felt. I tried engaging and dis-engaging it two times afterwards with the same result. Once again, the mechanic that looked at it afterwards couldn't figure it out and suggested I take it to a Dodge dealer and see if they could figure it out. However, before I let a dealer go and empty my wallet, I figured I'd see if anybody on the forum would have an idea as to what's going on?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM
stenerson
Veteran

Sounds like transfer case issues.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be a transfer case issue, but it might simply be a bad axle which isn't as bad.

When was the last time you have the Transmission and Transfercase Fluid changed?

If the answer is Never then go do it and see if the problem persists.

There will also be a "clunk" if you have a mechanical (floor lever) switch for the 4x4 as there is a procedure you MUST follow in your Owners Manual to prevent transfer case damage.

Quick Reply: Weird vibration/noise when braking