3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck dies after fill up on gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Willy McNasty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck dies after fill up on gas

Last two fill ups it has happened.

I start my truck after filling up at the pump. Pull out of the station, go a little ways down the road, stop at a stoplight. Sit at idle for maybe 30 seconds & the truck dies. I put it in park, turn the key, & it won't start. I let it sit for 10 or more seconds & it will start up. Don't have any problems out of it again until I fill up with gas. Then same thing happens.

Do I need to replace the EGR valve or what do yall think?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Common problem for the 2002-2005 trucks has been the fuel pump check valve going bad. Now that 2006-2008's are getting older and higher in mileage it seems we are having the same problems.
Unfortunately, the pump is an entire unit and must be replaced completely. It isnt cheap either! $350 or so.
I would try not filling it up completely and see if it still does it. Then fill it up more and more until it happens. Then you'll know the fill up point. It'll save you money, well, delay the inevitable..lol

Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dog has my vote. Mine is starting to act up too, but I expected it might soon, sometimes start up takes a little more cranking than normal----but it is also due for a tune up. either way, I lost a pump somewhere in Oklahoma one time on a trip, it cost a bundle and 3 days to repair on my old Dakota, do it soon or we'll all hear you cryin in your beer.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Willy McNasty
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
Dog has my vote. Mine is starting to act up too, but I expected it might soon, sometimes start up takes a little more cranking than normal----but it is also due for a tune up. either way, I lost a pump somewhere in Oklahoma one time on a trip, it cost a bundle and 3 days to repair on my old Dakota, do it soon or we'll all hear you cryin in your beer.
Replace fuel pump soon then? Eventually out just won't start & I'll be stranded? Thanks for the helpful responses.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

UUUUUHHHHH,

No pump---no fuel---no bangy! NO GO

And you can almost bet, it will die right after you fill up the tank, if you do it when the tank is near empty, it will be so much easier.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Willy McNasty
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
UUUUUHHHHH,

No pump---no fuel---no bangy! NO GO

And you can almost bet, it will die right after you fill up the tank, if you do it when the tank is near empty, it will be so much easier.
my question is: is the check valve going bad a sign of a fuel pump that is about to go out? Thanks for everyone's helpful responses.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

I don't believe so, but it may cause more of the problems you've described. Try what dog suggested.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Kscha41
Professional

My 04 would do the same. I would just not top it off. If I did by accident, it would stall by the next stop light right after the gas station. I put another 40,000 miles on it after I first noticed the problem and the pump was still running fine. Just don't top it off all the way.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM
OhFive_Daytona
Rookie

My suggestion, and not to sound sarcastic or anything... Don't fill it all the way?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM
BigSloth
Professional

That sounds more like an EVAP related issue to me. The check valve in the pump will cause long start issues, since it causes the fuel to drain back into the tank while sitting, fuel level should have no effect on it since the pickup is in the bottom of the tank.

When you fill the tank, the EVAP system has to properly regulate the pressure of the vapors in the tank. If its not working properly, it can cause driveability issues. A common problem on full size chevy trucks pre 07 is that the EVAP vent solenoid malfunctions and causes the fuel pump to actually draw a slight vacuum in the tank. the aging pump fights the vacuum and loses, truck stalls.

I would advise taking it to a shop and explaining the issue to them, pay for a diagnostic, and have them monitor the EVAP data and check for anything out of spec.

Of course, there is always the aforementioned, dont fill it up solution...

Quick Reply: Truck dies after fill up on gas