3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Famous Hemi Tick....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 PM
nkyhemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The previous owner used it. I used it till 25k switch to AMS oil. Truck has over 116k on it and never thickin up. That goes for all of my vehicles. Feel free to enlighten me with your claim.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
I don't like the idea of running an oil that thickens up like amsoil does.
Amsoil only thickens up at like 10kmi. Who drives that long with their oil anyways???

I've tried all the oils....My truck has 12kmi on it.

Mobil 1...Hemi tick
Valv Synthetic...Hemi tick
Amsoil..Hemi Tick(My buddy let me use his oil before we put it into his truck...lol)
Conventional..Hemi tick

I've tried all the oil filters as well.... Hemi tick
Mine is Very loud on all of them at operating temp and at idle. I've wasted a couple hundred on my own experimentations.

HERE is a video of my Hemi tick...http://s217.beta.photobucket.com/use...47f38.mp4.html

and Hammer....It is definately not a lifter slap noise. Chrysler Engineers are full of it.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Oh my jesus Dirty!!! That almost sounds like a diesel!!!!! THAT is not lifter slap noise. Did you take it to the dealer? What did they say?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Yeah, that's way louder than mine.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Amsoil only thickens up at like 10kmi. Who drives that long with their oil anyways???

I've tried all the oils....My truck has 12kmi on it.

Mobil 1...Hemi tick
Valv Synthetic...Hemi tick
Amsoil..Hemi Tick(My buddy let me use his oil before we put it into his truck...lol)
Conventional..Hemi tick

I've tried all the oil filters as well.... Hemi tick
Mine is Very loud on all of them at operating temp and at idle. I've wasted a couple hundred on my own experimentations.

HERE is a video of my Hemi tick...http://s217.beta.photobucket.com/use...47f38.mp4.html

and Hammer....It is definately not a lifter slap noise. Chrysler Engineers are full of it.
Yeah. I would definitely have that looked at ASAP. Sounds like it wants to grenade.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

How about the 4.7 tick, anyone? Anyone?! Just me, huh?

When I bought it the truck had.. well, oil. I put in Castrol High Mileage (Part synthetic) and then at the request of a buddy, put in some Valvoline SynPower full synthetic.

The motor is solid, the sound goes away after it's driven a bit, so I'm not gonna worry about it. It's just annoying as hell, I'm always worried pedestrians can hear it.

I've got six quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ready to go in after another 4,000 miles.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Prismatic
How about the 4.7 tick, anyone? Anyone?! Just me, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN4T5RD-d_E

When I bought it the truck had.. well, oil. I put in Castrol High Mileage (Part synthetic) and then at the request of a buddy, put in some Valvoline SynPower full synthetic.

The motor is solid, the sound goes away after it's driven a bit, so I'm not gonna worry about it. It's just annoying as hell, I'm always worried pedestrians can hear it.

I've got six quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ready to go in after another 4,000 miles.

If the sound goes away after driven check for an exhaust leak. It would make sense for an exhaust leak to subside after heating up

Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
We've had Chrysler Engineers as chat guests from time to time and it's been one of the more frequent asked questions of them. According to the men who designed the modern Hemi engine the tick is because the Hemi has a very short skirt with *******ly no land area, due to intended design tolerances, the piston will naturally rock in the bores.

As per the designers, a slight tick is natural and normal and occurs to varying degree on ALL modern Hemi engines. Piston ring wear and the use of different lubricants can vary the decibel level, but to some degree, it's always present.

If your engine has NO Hemi tick, it's a rare anomaly...

I guess it is an anomaly, cause it sure doesn't tick...at all

Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

Chrysler Engineers say tick is normal? ill NEVER by one. i am 64 years old i think my V6 3.9 dak will last till i die, thanks.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 PM
stenerson
Veteran

At 168K miles I can't detect any tick yet. I've used many different brands of full synthetic.

Quick Reply: Famous Hemi Tick....