3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Borrow a Tuner to turn off my MDS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
IamFrank
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Borrow a Tuner to turn off my MDS?

I have absolutely no experience with a tuner so I'm not even sure if this is possible but, is it possible to just use someone's tuner only to disable my MDS? Or are they locked in to the owner's VIN?

I want to disable my MDS but don't find buying a programmer worth it for this one thing.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually-----unfortunately, no. The tuners are keyed in to the vin on each individual vehicle, and in order to release the tuner to your truck, the stock tune has to be restored to the truck computer, which is stored in the tuner when it is first initiated on the vehicle

You might consider taking it to to a dealer and having them turn it off using their starscan

Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM
IamFrank
Professional

I was afraid of that. I may just grab one of the older Diablo Sport tuners then. The dealers around here are maddeningly clueless. I just called Love Field Dodge Chrysler Jeep to inquire about your starscan recommendation and the "service tech" didn't even know what MDS was. He put me on hold and asked his buddy who said "I've never heard of anyone shutting that off before"... Maddeningly, frighteningly clueless.

Thanks for the input!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 PM
adamj546
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see a local on here. I have had much much much better luck with Lewisville dodge. Also I have been to Dallas dodge off of 635 near garland and they were not that bad but lovefield dodge id suggest staying away from.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, can't use a tuner that's locked to another vehicle. Pick up an older model Diablo or Superchips used (make sure they unlocked it first). I promise you you'll end up using it for a LOT more than just shutting off MDS...

Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 AM
IamFrank
Professional

Originally Posted by adamj546
Nice to see a local on here. I have had much much much better luck with Lewisville dodge. Also I have been to Dallas dodge off of 635 near garland and they were not that bad but lovefield dodge id suggest staying away from.
Thanks for the rec. I pass pretty close to the one near Garland every day on my way to work so I'll give them a shot.

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yep, can't use a tuner that's locked to another vehicle. Pick up an older model Diablo or Superchips used (make sure they unlocked it first). I promise you you'll end up using it for a LOT more than just shutting off MDS...
You are probably right. Especially if many of the claims are accurate. I'll take an extra mpg and a few extra ponies any day.

Quick Reply: Borrow a Tuner to turn off my MDS?