3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire/wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 PM
kc518
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tire/wheel noise

I have a 2007 ram 1500 2wd with the hemi and 20" wheels. Over the last month i started hearing a buzzing or roaring noise coming from my tires that sounded like the noise made from running mud tires. My tires needed replacing, so i thought that was the problem. I had a new set of tires mounted today, and the roaring noise is still there. The noise starts at low speed, and levels out at high speed but i can still hear the noise. Upon slowing to a stop the noise becomes somewhat louder and pronounced. Again the noise duplicates the sound a mud tire makes. The noise can be heard from inside the truck while driving, but not from the outside.
Any ideas what this might be? I've been told it may be a bad wheel bearing, but i've never had a wheel bearing to go bad, so i don't know. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a wheel bearing, does it change sound at all when you turn the wheel? Can you isolate it to the front/back or passanger/driver sides? If you can, then jack up the truck, grab the wheel along the outside and push it back and forth. If there is any play you've got a bad wheel bearing.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kc518
I have a 2007 ram 1500 2wd with the hemi and 20" wheels. Over the last month i started hearing a buzzing or roaring noise coming from my tires that sounded like the noise made from running mud tires. My tires needed replacing, so i thought that was the problem. I had a new set of tires mounted today, and the roaring noise is still there. The noise starts at low speed, and levels out at high speed but i can still hear the noise. Upon slowing to a stop the noise becomes somewhat louder and pronounced. Again the noise duplicates the sound a mud tire makes. The noise can be heard from inside the truck while driving, but not from the outside.
Any ideas what this might be? I've been told it may be a bad wheel bearing, but i've never had a wheel bearing to go bad, so i don't know. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Kc518,

How many KM's or Miles do you have on your truck? Is it due for any maintenance? If you'd like help booking an appointment with a Dodge dealer for further review and to get a diagnosis completed, I'd be happy to help, just PM me your VIN#.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 AM
stenerson
Veteran

My guess would be wheel bearings. I changed mine last year and had similar symptoms.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 PM
kc518

Yep, bad wheel bearing on the front right wheel. Got it replaced this afternoon. This is my 4th ram pickup, and the first time I've had this problem. From my research it sounds like this may be a weak point in these trucks. But I have to say, I love my Goat's Thanks for the reply's.

Quick Reply: Tire/wheel noise