3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New (to me) '05 Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
patooyee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New (to me) '05 Cummins

Hello all. I have owned many diesel rigs in the past and recently picked up a new (to me) 2005 Crew cab 6-speed manual 4x4 Cummins. This truck was purchased with the intent to basically be the last tow rig I ever buy. (I only tow about 7000 lbs on a bumper-pull trailer.) The engine seems to be in great condition with no fuel in the oil, no blow-by, and apparently "un-raped." I have no intent to modify it as it has plenty of power to do what I need and I value reliability far beyond any more power I could get out of it. There are however a couple things going on with it that I would like to fix. (I am a very capable fabricator / mechanic.) Some insight from other Dodge owners would be appreciated.

1. Windshield wipers: I have the random wiper problem where they will wipe normal, and then several times rapidly, and then back to normal again. The research I have done reveals this to be a very common issue but I have not found a common solution so far. Is this the multifunction switch? FCM? Wiper motor? I have found threads on the net that claim all of the above. My truck does have a recall on the wiper motor, but it only applies to trucks that had their motor replaced during a certain time period and I do not believe mine was.

2. Brakes: I need new pads. Every Chevy truck I have ever owned has gone at least 100,000 miles on the OEM pads. I have friends and family who have experienced the same. Is there any pad for my Dodge that can be that reliable that anyone knows of?

3. My driver side door skin could stand to be replaced but I can not find a source for new ones. Does anyone know of an affordable source?

4. I think the previous owner of my truck may have been a bit portly as the driver's seat pad is pretty flat, even out toward the edges where my butt doesn't even reach. (And I'm not exactly a little guy!) In addition, the seat adjustment motors are weak. I would like to address both of these issues at once when I pull the seat but again, can't find anywhere to buy a new seat pad.

5. Diagnostics: I am most familiar with modern GM gas engines, I own HPTuners, and enjoy the diagnostics capabilities that HPTuners offers me with those engines. Is there anything equivalent to HP Tuners for this Dodge truck that will not only give me full diagnostic capabilities but also the ability to read other control modules in the truck other than the ECM?

6. The stock sound system in my truck sucks. I am going to get a new radio with aux input for my phone as well as new door speakers. I'm not one of those types that needs woofers, etc. I just want good quality door speakers. Are there some that bolt in without a lot of fuss?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome aboard.

I can only really answer #6 and I recommend Mopar Kicker speakers. They are a direct plug in and use the oem wiring plugs. Much louder and clearer than the stock speakers. www.kicker.com/mopar. I also added Infinity Reference 3.5" speakers in the dash and wired them into the front door speakers behind the radio. The front doors are 6x9 and the rear doors are 6.5" round.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1. I think you posted in my diy wiper fix, I answered there, i don't know if you will be able to nail down a better answer though.

2. I just replaced all four rotors and new pads using brakemotive, a sponsor on our site. I got a great deal from them and am very happy with the performance, but I don't know about the longevity of the pads. I can't remember anyone saying they've gotten 100,000 out of a set of pads, i think 60 is more normal. Autozone has a lifetime warranty on their cmax pads, when they wear out you can just take them back and get new ones, that might be an option for you. I know one mod on here (weedahoe) does that and is happy with it.

4. There is a diy on fixing the foam in your seat, here is the link https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-the-cure.html , i did it to both my driver and passenger side and am happy with the results so far.

Im sure some other people can chime in about which tuners will do what you want, or you could browse the superchips threads. Superchips and diablosport are the most commons ones here, but i think bullydog is a good one for diesels. Good luck with your truck, hope you are enjoying it!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM
patooyee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help everyone. Keep it coming if you can add ...

Quick Reply: New (to me) '05 Cummins