3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Tick? Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Ninz49z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Tick? Help please!

Originally posted in wrong section sorry.

Hey guys new to the forum but I've been reading on it and decided to join this one, everyone or mostly everyone on here seems to be pretty nice and helpful so a thank you in advance.

I have an 2006 Ram 1500 4x4 with about 130,000, I've always been a Chevy guy but absolutely fell in love with this truck so now I'm a proud Dodge owner. I've read up on the "Hemi tick" and actually hoping that's what I have and nothing more serious. When it's cold it does it a lot worse then after its been drove for awhile its always there but can only be herd underneath after its warm or bearly herd behind the wheels. If this is the "Hemi Tick" what causes it and how can I fix it as Inexpensively as possible? Here's a video I posted on YouTube in this video it had just been driven I will take another of a cold start if it'll help. Thanks and the video link is up top

Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try Seafoam fuel additive

I was annoyed to no end with the tick even after I put headers and a complete dual exhaust on my 05. I did it because the rear manifold bolts broke on the manifolds and I cannot stand listening to exhaust leaks.

I finally gave up on the tick since I couldn't find any real solution and especially since my brother has a 06 charger that ticks as well and he only drives it in the summer. Basically the car is mint and still has a tick.

I was in Napa and talking to some of the guys about additives. I have been trying to do everything I could to increase mileage. Someone there mentioned they live and die by the Seafoam fuel additive to help clean the valves. Valves is one things suspected for the "tick". My mileage dropped severely for the tank of gas when I put in the Seafoam additive but I noticed a tank or two later the tick was almost impossible to hear. Just my opinion but for a couple of dollars it was worth it.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Ninz49z

Originally Posted by eisej
I was annoyed to no end with the tick even after I put headers and a complete dual exhaust on my 05. I did it because the rear manifold bolts broke on the manifolds and I cannot stand listening to exhaust leaks.

I finally gave up on the tick since I couldn't find any real solution and especially since my brother has a 06 charger that ticks as well and he only drives it in the summer. Basically the car is mint and still has a tick.

I was in Napa and talking to some of the guys about additives. I have been trying to do everything I could to increase mileage. Someone there mentioned they live and die by the Seafoam fuel additive to help clean the valves. Valves is one things suspected for the "tick". My mileage dropped severely for the tank of gas when I put in the Seafoam additive but I noticed a tank or two later the tick was almost impossible to hear. Just my opinion but for a couple of dollars it was worth it.

Yeah I plan on trying it, should I put it in the gas or oil or both if Ido put it in the oil how long should I run it before changing or will it matter. Thanks for input man.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 AM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put it in both. Half a can in each. Just a thought but I first thought that the noise I was hearing was the tick. That's when I first realized I had the manifold leak. You can always check by using a mechanics stethescope. Harborfreight for $5.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:01 PM
GligorovDimce
Amateur

I have brand new 2012 ram 1500 hemi and has the hemi tick.only 5000 miles on truck.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It is highly recommended that you do not add anything to your oil.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 AM
GligorovDimce
Amateur

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
It is highly recommended that you do not add anything to your oil.
i would never add anything to the oil.all because reading about all these hemi ticks and knocks, i got 7 years warranty bumper to bumper and plus it has the factory drive train 5 year 100 000 miles.
truck had 2 miles when i got it. all oil changes are performed at dealer.
first oil change at 1000 miles.
second oil change at 3000 miles.
third oil change at 5000 miles,
and from now on every oil change will be done at 3000 miles with the factory recommendation 5-20 oil and mopar oil filter.
i get coupons from my dealer so and oil change costs me 27 bucks there.
that way if anything happens to truck they will have record of service.
my truck does not knocks, just has that small hemi tick and i have been asking,some of them say its from the empty catalyst converters and some say because of the aluminum parts of engine the sound travels and you can hear it.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 AM
shock5
Default Hemi tick

I think they all do it. Just the nature of the beast.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 AM
Jbobbie439
Amateur

From past experiences I’m tending to believe it’s just a Magnum thing. I had a 99’ with the 5.2L and it made almost the same sound as my 03’ Hemi, which has the tick. They all have their issues (GM, Ford, RAM), I’d rather a Hemi tick then a Vortex’s whine.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

This is what the hemi tick on my 2008 sounded like. I have a 2005 now and can slightly hear it, but not as bad.

Last edited by itsUhHemi; 03-30-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Hemi Tick? Help please!