3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pacesetter Headers on my 04 ram 2500 hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need to replace the oem manifolds and ex pipes, than headers and a true dual ex will improve performance. In my case, I replaced a perfectly good singel oem ex on my 2500.

Performance and flue economy did improve with y pipe removal and two 2.5 in mufflers, mangnaflow, ultra flow and dynomax, ultra flow x muffler) all are garbage, they souned great but with in a year I was blowing out the packing on the dynomax, and the rear seams on the mangnaflows and ultra flows..

The dumb *** who did the converison welded a rod to the pipes and attached to the factery hangers, now the welds have rotted out leaving holes in the whole system.

In hindsight, using a muffler clamp and welding a rod to the clamp makes more sense.

I have not found a cat back kit for a 2500 hemi using two 2.5 muffler or mufflers, their are kits using a singel in and dual out.

On this go arround, Im running two cherry bomb glass packs, 29 in long, when the packing is toast in the mufflers, Im just going to leave the mufflers in place, vers screwing arround again with with free flowing canister style or chamber mufflers ..

I still need to figure out how to run two ex pipes over the rear diff and stright out the left rear, their are kits on line, jegs, ebay, summit that are prebent mandrel pipes that you can modify.

My intila point is that if if aint broke, leave as is..

Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 PM
msorbara10
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
If you need to replace the oem manifolds and ex pipes, than headers and a true dual ex will improve performance. In my case, I replaced a perfectly good singel oem ex on my 2500.

Performance and flue economy did improve with y pipe removal and two 2.5 in mufflers, mangnaflow, ultra flow and dynomax, ultra flow x muffler) all are garbage, they souned great but with in a year I was blowing out the packing on the dynomax, and the rear seams on the mangnaflows and ultra flows..

The dumb *** who did the converison welded a rod to the pipes and attached to the factery hangers, now the welds have rotted out leaving holes in the whole system.

In hindsight, using a muffler clamp and welding a rod to the clamp makes more sense.

I have not found a cat back kit for a 2500 hemi using two 2.5 muffler or mufflers, their are kits using a singel in and dual out.

On this go arround, Im running two cherry bomb glass packs, 29 in long, when the packing is toast in the mufflers, Im just going to leave the mufflers in place, vers screwing arround again with with free flowing canister style or chamber mufflers ..

I still need to figure out how to run two ex pipes over the rear diff and stright out the left rear, their are kits on line, jegs, ebay, summit that are prebent mandrel pipes that you can modify.

My intila point is that if if aint broke, leave as is..
yea i wouldnt mind a single in dual out enhaust. I dont know of any custom shops around me that will make a true dual for me. It would be awsome to have one though. And yes i also have never seen a true dual exhaust system for a 2500 also. I see a couple single in dual out but its hard to find for a 2500 also. Would I be able to modify a true dual with the the kits that you mentioned? Or would that be a long shot?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

its simple to cut out the y pipe and thiers room for two mufflers side by side or run one muffler with two inlets and two out lets, tricky part is fabricating pipe over the rear diff, I'm not running pipe arround the spare , booth pipes are going stright out the right rear like a srt10 ram.

if you tow a trailer my configuration will add ex residue on your trailer, but I can live with it.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

when I'm complete I will post video as for the tail pipes I dont want the bend and crush method thats on my truck now, thier is room for two 2.5 in pipes and I'm thinking off running two oem 3 in pipes out the left rear side but un sure if this will fit.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM
msorbara10
Rookie

Originally Posted by cyclone429
its simple to cut out the y pipe and thiers room for two mufflers side by side or run one muffler with two inlets and two out lets, tricky part is fabricating pipe over the rear diff, I'm not running pipe arround the spare , booth pipes are going stright out the right rear like a srt10 ram.

if you tow a trailer my configuration will add ex residue on your trailer, but I can live with it.
Yea I figured that would be tricky. I was also thinking would it be easier to do a dual exhaust even a true dual after lifting my truck? I want to put a 4 or 5 in lift on mine and I was thinking that could possibly make it easier to weave the exhaust through too. I have to take another look under the truck and get a better idea of what im up against.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

I doubt a lift kit is going to help as you want the ex system tucked as close to the frame as possible for off road use.. you dont want to sucking in water or mud threw your mufflers + tailil pipes and you don't want to be starting fires with hot ex.

A body lift kit would give you more clearance for headers, but Im not installing headers, so this is a area I have nothing practical to offer.

I considerd running dumps off the mufflers or running two pipes out before the left rear wheel but this is not practical for making my own trails off the off road trail!!

Anothier reason why Im going to glass packs, is thier stright flow design and smaller cassing, less chance of rotting or rusting out the seams on the mufflers I have cooked in the past..

Thiers plenty of room to run pipes and two mufflers on a stock hemi 2500 and two 2.5 in pipes over the rear diff.

When I have new 2.5 in pipes from the cats back and the two cherry bombs installed, I will see what a muffler shop can do for the rear pipes, or I will fab up the pipes and cut with my chop saw and than have them welded up..

Summit racing has 2.5 dual kits with no mufflers that offer the abillity to custom build, living in the great white north, the cost to ship it is equal to the kits price...

Last edited by cyclone429; 03-13-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 PM
msorbara10
Rookie

well i think ill just have to get under the truck and see what i am working with haha. Yea I get what you mean that its going to be tough to fab it up to fit close to the frame. Do you think getting rid of the spare would be ok? May not be a great idea bit it could allow for more room. I honestly would never take my truck off roading I baby it way too much but.
Cyclone429 if you could send me your email I would like to give you updates on how everything is going for me with the exhaust when i get around to doing it. Probly wont be until the summer when im out of school

Old 03-17-2013, 07:35 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

in a week or so new ex with the two glass pack cherry bombs will be installed I'm new to smart phones but I will post some video here or a link to you tube.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 PM
SilverHemiDan
Rookie

Originally Posted by msorbara10
well i think ill just have to get under the truck and see what i am working with haha. Yea I get what you mean that its going to be tough to fab it up to fit close to the frame. Do you think getting rid of the spare would be ok? May not be a great idea bit it could allow for more room. I honestly would never take my truck off roading I baby it way too much but.
Cyclone429 if you could send me your email I would like to give you updates on how everything is going for me with the exhaust when i get around to doing it. Probly wont be until the summer when im out of school
here is some exhaust work,that I had done after adding full leafs and airbags.
And this is just single exhaust

before(tailpipe hitting leafs)
Name:  IMG_0588.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  203.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0590.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  192.4 KB

after
Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  222.2 KB

Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 PM
SilverHemiDan
Rookie

If your looking for headers for your power wagons check out AMERICAN RACING HEADERS. They have a kit for the 2500-3500 rams that will bolt right up and bring our big trucks right to life!!!So I talked to Nick at ARH and they dont have a part number yet for the system but if you call they have them instock

I copied this from another site...I'm not sure how accurate it is

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Headers on my 04 ram 2500 hemi?