3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio mutes itself at random

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Jrskihog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio mutes itself at random

I have the infinitely sound system 02 QC and the radio slowly turns itself down to mute. Sometimes it works for 15 mins other times it only works 1,2,4, or 5 mins. I can't find anyone else with this problem and can't figure out what is causing this any suggestions? TIA

Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Not sure, but if want to try swapping out the head unit, i have the RAZ (cd and cassette) unit that came out of my truck i am looking to sell. I have the infinity sound in mine also.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does this happen when you slow down? or is it completely random independent of speed?

Do you have steering wheel controls for volume?

I've seen this a few times on other Chrysler & Jeep vehicles, and it usually turned out to be either a shorted steering wheel control, or a radio speed sensor that was not working right.

On a few I can remember that it was the infinity amp that just took a dump and lost power....

I suggest you check the incoming power to the Amp, if it fluctuates too much or has a high and low amp draw then it's likely the problem.

You can find those amps reasonably priced online...

Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Jrskihog

Originally Posted by Izero
does this happen when you slow down? or is it completely random independent of speed?

Do you have steering wheel controls for volume?

I've seen this a few times on other Chrysler & Jeep vehicles, and it usually turned out to be either a shorted steering wheel control, or a radio speed sensor that was not working right.

On a few I can remember that it was the infinity amp that just took a dump and lost power....

I suggest you check the incoming power to the Amp, if it fluctuates too much or has a high and low amp draw then it's likely the problem.

You can find those amps reasonably priced online...
It happens at random speeds and when in park. Sometimes it will do it if you stop fast. I don't have steering wheel controls. I'll have to check the amp draw. When the weather breaks luckily it isn't a DD.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrskihog
It happens at random speeds and when in park. Sometimes it will do it if you stop fast. I don't have steering wheel controls. I'll have to check the amp draw. When the weather breaks luckily it isn't a DD.
Definitely let us know.... You may want to also check the voltage off of the battery while the truck is running. Cig Lighter is perfect place to put a tester b/c it is very close to the radio circuit.

Also check if the same thing happens with other inputs.

Meaning Does this also happen when you have A CD/Tape in?

If you have an aux input test audio with that as well.

If it only happens with the AM/FM radio then we're narrowed down a bit.

Quick Reply: Radio mutes itself at random