3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 Mechanics stumped Im at wits end!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 01:34 PM
germantrader10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Mechanics stumped Im at wits end!

Hope you guys can help me.

2004 Ram 1500 4.7L 4door short bed 2wd

So heres the deal.

Motor was garbage when i got the truck owner ran it with a bad front pump. Transmission was just redone.

Heres what i did. I took the motor out and wanted to rebuild it. Took heads and block to machine shop and was told it was too far gone.

Got two new heads and and a block from the scrapyard. I think it was an 03 or 04 i dont remeber and i dont know how to find out.

machine shop went 10 over on bearings and rods and 20 over on pistons

All internals are new mechanic buddy installed timing chain.

So it all went back in with new alternator water pump and a/c. New pulleys and belt. All sensors are new Except map and IAC

It cranks and starts after 10 seconds of cranking. Idles and runs beautifully

Heres the problem: it wont rev passed 2500RPM in idel or neutral or while driving.

It drives sounds great but if you push the pedal down it just hits the ref limiter.

so now i threw a new fuel pump in it a new fuel rail and dropped the exhaust in case teh cats where clogged. I swapped all relays.

All fuses are good.

It throws code P0335

Its a new crankshaft sensor and we swapped it with a 05 ram 4.7 ram at my buddies shop. We also swapped the ecm and camshaft senor with his which work. I also swapped all his relays.

I cant afford to keep throwing parts at it! Please help.

The only other thing is that the oil pressure gauge only works under throttle.

My mechanic said its probably a faulty new oil pressure sensor because the truck has sat and idled over 3 hours since the rebuild. Like i said it sounds beautiful but wont rev.

Im at the shop now waitying for someone to help. Ill do whatever anyone advises asap and respond. its 1:33 pm est

Please help. I need a truck for work, my family is depended on my income.

Thanks for taking the time.

We did a ohm test on the cps because when we pulled the motor we forgot to pull the senor and it ripped the wire. its been resoldered and we get a single with voltmeter.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:36 PM
germantrader10

Sorry for bad grammar and explanation. I was rushing to type this in order to get help asap

Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Dang man I wish I knew more about these motors so that I could help you. You have done so much though I wouldn't even know where to start troubleshooting. Try PM'ing "DodgeCares". He is a certified technician.
EDIT: Here is the link to his profile: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...odgecares.html

Old 03-30-2013, 02:25 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've mixed so many different years, I'd guess the computer is so far apart from your mystery motor, it's engaging the rev limiter because it's confused. With all the parts-tossing Olympics, you may have created a Frankenstein.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
You've mixed so many different years, I'd guess the computer is so far apart from your mystery motor, it's engaging the rev limiter because it's confused. With all the parts-tossing Olympics, you may have created a Frankenstein.
I was going to say something similar to that but didn't want to sound stupid lol.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:33 PM
germantrader10

everything on the truck now is for the 04 model except the block. I dont know what year it is and im afraid the reluctor wheel or something is wrong. but then i figured it wouldnt run at all.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My best guess is that you need a custom tune for your PCM. You've changed the compression and MAP values by going .20 over on pistons.

You need to get yourself a programmer and get a custom or even an off the shelf tune would help.

If your mechanic has access to an OBD-2 scanner that can log the timing vs. rpm as well as the MAP and IAT values and put it into an excel format, we can help you some more if you can post up the results.

I am 99% sure that your MAP Values are going wayyyyyy out there so the truck is getting confused about what it is seeing.

Your timing values may also be off if you didn't bring to TDC when installing the timing belt, so you might be a tiny bit off.... Get a timing light on that SOB and see where you're at.

Those are my two best bets as to what is going on with your engine, and my reasoning is because you've changed the engine's displacement, compression, and other values that the PCM reads in order to calculate timing and fuel.

I'd get a new Crank Position Sensor too just to eliminate it.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:38 PM
germantrader10

Originally Posted by itsUhHemi
Dang man I wish I knew more about these motors so that I could help you. You have done so much though I wouldn't even know where to start troubleshooting. Try PM'ing "DodgeCares". He is a certified technician.
EDIT: Here is the link to his profile: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...odgecares.html
hey thanks pm sent. i put so much money in this truck and now to hear it running and idle so nicely but not being able to drive it really suxs. Heck i mean it does drive but cant punch the throttle so its a slow go to get up to speed.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 PM
germantrader10

Originally Posted by Izero
My best guess is that you need a custom tune for your PCM. You've changed the compression and MAP values by going .20 over on pistons.

You need to get yourself a programmer and get a custom or even an off the shelf tune would help.

If your mechanic has access to an OBD-2 scanner that can log the timing vs. rpm as well as the MAP and IAT values and put it into an excel format, we can help you some more if you can post up the results.

I am 99% sure that your MAP Values are going wayyyyyy out there so the truck is getting confused about what it is seeing.

Your timing values may also be off if you didn't bring to TDC when installing the timing belt, so you might be a tiny bit off.... Get a timing light on that SOB and see where you're at.

Those are my two best bets as to what is going on with your engine, and my reasoning is because you've changed the engine's displacement, compression, and other values that the PCM reads in order to calculate timing and fuel.

I'd get a new Crank Position Sensor too just to eliminate it.

Let us know how you make out.
Thanks Izero

Going out to truck now and running scanner on it will update in a few

new cps is on the way from local parts store

Old 03-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try to get it on the road to get the datalog and get the log posted... used Google Docs or something or just post up the Timing vs RPM vs MAP readings with the [ C O D E ] [ / C O D E ] tags (without spaces) to put it up

Quick Reply: 4 Mechanics stumped Im at wits end!