3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hooker Aerochamber muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 PM
dougiedododge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Aerochamber muffler

Does anyone know if installing a Hooker performance chambered muffler will negatively affect performance on my stock 07 Ram 1500.I want to remove factory muffler and install a muffler comparable to a Flowmaster and I chose Hooker.I am wanting it for the sound mainly.also I have factory exaust no duals or anything.Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the general consensus found on here is that FM generally flows worse then even the stock exhaust system due to its chambered design which means yes it will negatively affect performance just like FM does. If you want good sound and performance I would suggest a Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler and then take it to a good muffler shop and have them custom fab you an exhaust to your liking with that muffler. It will also be cheaper then a catback exhaust kit in most cases.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM
dougiedododge
Amateur

Just as I thought.Thanks a bunch for the info.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougiedododge
Does anyone know if installing a Hooker performance chambered muffler will negatively affect performance on my stock 07 Ram 1500.I want to remove factory muffler and install a muffler comparable to a Flowmaster and I chose Hooker.I am wanting it for the sound mainly.also I have factory exaust no duals or anything.Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

Whatever you do, and whatever muffler you choose, you will never be able to feel a difference, so get what sounds good to you

Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would highly suggest a Magnaflow muffler. Stainless steel and flow/sound very nice.
Since you have a 4.7L, you don't have to worry about the MDS sounding crappy

Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the oem muffler, your just buying a head ache as 90% of aftermarket mufflers will never out last oem mufflers...and your not getting performance or mpg = to the cost of removing a good old boaring muffler... Im tying ing to post pics of my cherry bomb glass packs... 26 in case length 2.5 in 2.5 out..

Im running true duals and trust me, if aint broken, leave it BEE..

Old 04-17-2013, 12:46 AM
dougiedododge
Amateur

I bought a Hooker Aerochamber muffler from Summit Racing for $59 and actually had it installed today 4/16/13 for $50.The shop did a great job and it actually sounds much better than I expected.I posted my initial question yesterday on 4/15/13 before having it installed and Id have to say my truck sounds just as good as anyone with duals.Id also have to say that I do feel like my ride has a little more power since I put a CAI on it and replaced the factory muffler with the Hooker Aerochamber and the muffler appeared to be very solid and well built made of aluminized steel with lifetime warranty and they guarantee the sound to never change after it has been broken in after a hundred miles or so.Im very happy so far.Only time will tell though.Right?...

Quick Reply: Hooker Aerochamber muffler