3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 dodge ram 5.7 hemi valve spring problema

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:24 AM
The_Penguin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I have basically the same problem, and I don't want to start a new thread...here's my situation:

2003 Ram 1/2T, 5.7 Hemi, 2WD, 189K miles

driving truck Sunday morning - everything seems fine/normal. approach a traffic light to stop and truck begins to sputter and dies like it ran out of gas, then won't restart. I assume it's a fuel pump issue and have truck towed (63 miles) to my mechanic.

he comes and picks my up today and we start checking it out. fuel pressure was 55ish psi.

It will start and run very rough if the gas pedal is floored and feathered, but won't idle at all - so he starts checking all the sensors. OBD is not showing any codes. We're both puzzled.

He assumes a timing problem because he did find a low vacuum reading - so we start checking compression. Found that compression was low 115-125 on all cylinders, and ZERO in right/rear cylinder - so we start taking it apart.

found a broken exhaust spring on that cylinder, and I start doing research and found several threads on here that the broken spring is a fairly common problem - so we pull the head to check the piston for damage...NONE apparent!

so - here's what I'm faced with and need suggestions -

• it looks like the valve stuck slightly open and didn't appear to have touched the piston...did I just get really lucky? and would this cause the truck to barely run at all?
  • what about the low compression? we tried a wet compression test on one of the cylinders and the reading was about the same. The gauge could be off - but he says he's fairly confident it is accurate.
  • do I need to have a full head/valve job done, or should I have it checked by a machine shop and have them replace all the springs?
  • there's a ton of sludge/garbage/grit in the head - what can I do to remove it?
  • I'm going to guess that ya'll will tell me to go ahead and replace exhaust springs on the left side while it's apart?
  • do the head bolts need to be replaced?
  • anything else I should work on while it's apart?
  • any chance Dodge will help me out on this since it seems to have been a common problem?
  • any other suggestions or comments?

also found that the spark plugs were in horrible condition - I can't say that they've ever been changed - I would have remembered doing that. So new plugs are definitely in order. Are Champion Copper Plus still recommended? What gap?

I really don't want to dump a bunch of money into the truck as I was really only planning to keep it another year or so - now I'm thinking that after this repair, it may be time to put the old girl out to pasture and find something new...general thoughts on this?

my stepson will be needing something to drive this fall when he turns 16, so we had talked about possibly letting him drive it (depending on the insurance rates for him) and me getting a new(er) truck

thanks

Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 AM
xRobx

During my search @ dodgepartdept.com i saw complete heads for 300. They claim they are OEM.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
The_Penguin

Originally Posted by The_Penguin
Since I have basically the same problem, and I don't want to start a new thread...here's my situation:

2003 Ram 1/2T, 5.7 Hemi, 2WD, 189K miles

driving truck Sunday morning - everything seems fine/normal. approach a traffic light to stop and truck begins to sputter and dies like it ran out of gas, then won't restart. I assume it's a fuel pump issue and have truck towed (63 miles) to my mechanic.

he comes and picks my up today and we start checking it out. fuel pressure was 55ish psi.

It will start and run very rough if the gas pedal is floored and feathered, but won't idle at all - so he starts checking all the sensors. OBD is not showing any codes. We're both puzzled.

He assumes a timing problem because he did find a low vacuum reading - so we start checking compression. Found that compression was low 115-125 on all cylinders, and ZERO in right/rear cylinder - so we start taking it apart.

found a broken exhaust spring on that cylinder, and I start doing research and found several threads on here that the broken spring is a fairly common problem - so we pull the head to check the piston for damage...NONE apparent!

so - here's what I'm faced with and need suggestions -

• it looks like the valve stuck slightly open and didn't appear to have touched the piston...did I just get really lucky? and would this cause the truck to barely run at all?
  • what about the low compression? we tried a wet compression test on one of the cylinders and the reading was about the same. The gauge could be off - but he says he's fairly confident it is accurate.
  • do I need to have a full head/valve job done, or should I have it checked by a machine shop and have them replace all the springs?
  • there's a ton of sludge/garbage/grit in the head - what can I do to remove it?
  • I'm going to guess that ya'll will tell me to go ahead and replace exhaust springs on the left side while it's apart?
  • do the head bolts need to be replaced?
  • anything else I should work on while it's apart?
  • any chance Dodge will help me out on this since it seems to have been a common problem?
  • any other suggestions or comments?

also found that the spark plugs were in horrible condition - I can't say that they've ever been changed - I would have remembered doing that. So new plugs are definitely in order. Are Champion Copper Plus still recommended? What gap?

I really don't want to dump a bunch of money into the truck as I was really only planning to keep it another year or so - now I'm thinking that after this repair, it may be time to put the old girl out to pasture and find something new...general thoughts on this?

my stepson will be needing something to drive this fall when he turns 16, so we had talked about possibly letting him drive it (depending on the insurance rates for him) and me getting a new(er) truck

thanks
anyone?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rebuild both heads, you got REALLY lucky, if you only do one, then the other side detonates the engine------you get the idea. Dodge will help you only if its under warranty. If you're considering a complete rebuild, you may as well get a crate or long block rebuild. Personally, I wouldn't if you're not looking to sink a lot of coin into it.
You need new head bolts.
It wouldn't hurt to install a new timing chain---189K miles
Replace all the consumables---plugs, wires, new antifreeze, use distilled water only unless you get the premixed stuff, new water pump and t-stat, hoses, belt-----might also consider a new oil pump----etc, etc.
I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in shortly

Good Luck!!

Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 AM
2002dodgeram4.7
Default 03 Hemi Valve Springs

I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 with 131,000 Miles on It and I keep reading need to change the valve springs. I don't know where to buy the 6.1 valve springs at. I heard I need 16 Exhaust Springs to replace the 8 stock valve springs and 8 stock exhaust springs. I have no idea how to do it. Is there anybody in the panama city Fl area that can help me change them.. Or with the dealership change them for me? Thank You

Old 08-02-2013, 04:11 PM
DanielHemi

The 6.1 valve springs work really well, I think you have to buy them through the dealer. I used the Beehive valve springs from Comp Cams. They were around $200 for the entire set, intake and exhaust. The intake spring on #7 broke on my truck, causing catastrophic failure. But then I didn't need an excuse to build the motor with some cool upgrades...

Quick Reply: 2003 dodge ram 5.7 hemi valve spring problema