3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats Better? Projector head lights or HID

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:20 PM
kyle.bishop
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats Better? Projector head lights or HID

just wondering if some one can give me some info on headlights for 2008 dodge ram 1500, whats better projectors or the HID or can you get both?? really not sure about it

Old 04-20-2013, 02:56 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

You can do both, if you want. There are four basic types of headlights in my view (these are not official terms, but ones that I use): halogen based, HID based, halogen projector based, and HID projector based.

You can use HIDs in a halogen based or halogen projector based housing, but they won't necessarily work that well. In my old 2001 Ram 1500, for example, the housings were terrible for HIDs. Light goes everywhere, including into oncoming drivers' eyes.

In my current 2010 Dakota, the light pattern of my HIDs is good, and the light goes where it is needed. Most importantly, it does not blind oncoming traffic. You'll have to read some other HID threads on here to determine how the 2008 housings handle HIDs, or wait for others' feedback/posts.

Some will say to never use HIDs in halogen based/designed housings. While this is a good rule of thumb for older vehicles, and some states outlaw HIDs "retrofits", many newer vehicles housings are designed so well that HIDs work great (like the newer Dakotas and 2009+ Rams). As stated before, I am unsure about the 2008s, but do some reading and wait for others to respond here and you'll get the feedback you need.

And for future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...s-section.html

Quick Reply: Whats Better? Projector head lights or HID