3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Preventive rust???Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Xler8er
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventive rust???Maybe

So I see a lot of 3rd gen rams with rust along the wheel well...I know this is a problem hear in the salt lands..So I removed both my tail light and grabed a flash light and looked down in side the wheel well threw the tail light opening.Being a 7 year old truck it was pretty clean over all with a little quarter size minor scale...I went up to the local hardware got a small roller (the ones that snap on..there about 1"dia and about 4" long) and some black rust o lum paint oil base and mopped the hell out of them inner quarter panels and let the paint run down threw the the cracks and crevasses.Also I hit the wheel well in there also..Keep in mind to cover up your wheels and bumper because it does get a bit messy.Also do this in the dirt because it runs down if you mop it on there like I did..I just use plastic to cover up tires and bumper....Get a little bit of mineral spirits to clean up paint if you get some on there....

Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Do it yourself "true coat" huh? If it didn't hurt anything, worse that will happen is it doesn't help anything either. I have never lived anywhere where salt and rust are a real issue. I only live a couple hours from the coast and always give my vehicles a good washing out on top and underneath when I get back from there after being in the salt air. It leaves a salty film on everything. Hope it works for you.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 PM
cuda19791
Rookie

Originally Posted by Xler8er
So I see a lot of 3rd gen rams with rust along the wheel well...I know this is a problem hear in the salt lands..So I removed both my tail light and grabed a flash light and looked down in side the wheel well threw the tail light opening.Being a 7 year old truck it was pretty clean over all with a little quarter size minor scale...I went up to the local hardware got a small roller (the ones that snap on..there about 1"dia and about 4" long) and some black rust o lum paint oil base and mopped the hell out of them inner quarter panels and let the paint run down threw the the cracks and crevasses.Also I hit the wheel well in there also..Keep in mind to cover up your wheels and bumper because it does get a bit messy.Also do this in the dirt because it runs down if you mop it on there like I did..I just use plastic to cover up tires and bumper....Get a little bit of mineral spirits to clean up paint if you get some on there....
Good thinking man I will have to check my truck next oil change hope I do not have any rust. Alot of the rams I see in my area do have it.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM
nkyhemi
Rookie

My Dad lives in Wolverine Lake. He's been using Dupli-Color undercoating for years. His
06 Duramax has very little rust underneath. Does it twice per year. I think what ever you use is better than just doing nothing.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Carnage68
Amateur

Living anywhere in northeastern north America, you are going to have to deal with salt on the roads in the winter months. Have my truck oil sprayed at Krown every year...actually booked for tomorrow. (Before the end of April..they are throwing in passes to the premier of Iron Man 3....).
Great stuff...they spray the hell out of the truck and this stuff creeps into crevices and hard to reach areas other "oil" spraying can't get to.
Krown is sprayed in every corner of the vehicle and as it contacts metal, it lifts the moisture off and out of seams. It then continues to repel moisture by setting up a moisture resistant bond on the surface of the metal. 100 bucks annually is great insurance for a rust free vehicle. Been under my truck a lot lately and the only rust I notice are on my cherry bomb muffler, muffler brackets and leaf springs.

Quick Reply: Preventive rust???Maybe