3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are there any better/safer jump seat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
wshtb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any better/safer jump seat?

I have a 08 QuadCab. The front-center jump seat is useful to me, but not very safe, since it only got a lap belt. There doesn't appear to be anyway to fit a shoulder belt due to the way it folds.

I know the center seat can be removed easily. However, I'm wondering if there is any aftermarket non-folding seat that would fit in that opening? This will be used by a small kid so it doesn't need to be too wide, but it need to be safe, i.e. securely attached to the floor/brackets, and has either seat belt or 5-point harness.

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most pickups don't and have never had anything more than a lap belt for the center seat. Even trucks with bench seats in the 70's with shoulder belts, only had lap belts for the center.

Here is the thing, if it was REALLY that much of an issue, the Guhvunment would mandate that auto manufacturers install factory 3 point safety belts for front, center seat passengers. It is also a driver reaction, really no matter how long you've been driving, to try and stop whatever is in that seat from flying forward in case of hard braking or a wreck. Hell, when riding in my mom's car, she still does it, and I'm 18. lol

My other statement is this: all children should be riding in the back seat. Only under required circumstances should smallish children be allowed to ride up front in the center seats.

Just my 2 cents here.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM
wshtb
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
...My other statement is this: all children should be riding in the back seat. Only under required circumstances should smallish children be allowed to ride up front in the center seats...
That works until you get more than 3 kids. Since I don't like minivans, it seems my only choice is one of these passenger vans. The MB Sprinter is looking nice...

Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Issue with full size vans is the fuel economy.
Trust me, my mom had one for a long time. lol

Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see what is so unsafe about the lap belt? I mean its not AS good as the 3 point but isn't unsafe by any means

Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 AM
wshtb
Amateur

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
I don't see what is so unsafe about the lap belt? I mean its not AS good as the 3 point but isn't unsafe by any means
In case of a crash, the passenger with only a lap belt in the front-center seat will likely hit his/her head on the console. A shoulder belt should be able to prevent that.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not just get yourself an SUV instead of a minivan...? Still get the power of a truck... just more seats... I mean unless you a the Douger family I think an SUV will suit your needs...

Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by wshtb
In case of a crash, the passenger with only a lap belt in the front-center seat will likely hit his/her head on the console. A shoulder belt should be able to prevent that.
But here's the thing: if it was REALLY an issue, don't you think the government would have stepped in by now? That's the way I look at it.
Originally Posted by Izero
Why not just get yourself an SUV instead of a minivan...? Still get the power of a truck... just more seats... I mean unless you a the Douger family I think an SUV will suit your needs...
lol

Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wshtb
I have a 08 QuadCab. The front-center jump seat is useful to me, but not very safe, since it only got a lap belt. There doesn't appear to be anyway to fit a shoulder belt due to the way it folds.

I know the center seat can be removed easily. However, I'm wondering if there is any aftermarket non-folding seat that would fit in that opening? This will be used by a small kid so it doesn't need to be too wide, but it need to be safe, i.e. securely attached to the floor/brackets, and has either seat belt or 5-point harness.

Thanks!
Wshtb,

I'm sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the lap belt for the center seat of your Ram. Dodge vehicle's comply with or exceed, the federal safety requirements applicable to that category of vehicle and are tested by the safety office with the factory installed equipment. We do not recommend altering the factory build of the vehicle for this reason and any after-market modification of such equipment is not supported by Dodge.

The center seating positions for the Quad Cab front seat have a lap belt only. It is required to wear the lap belt low and snug against the hips.

Last edited by DodgeCACares; 05-03-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:43 PM
wshtb
Amateur

Originally Posted by Izero
SUV is even worse in my personal ranking of cars. I'd rather get a minivan for hauling people and keep the truck for large cargo.

Quick Reply: Are there any better/safer jump seat?