3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another vacation another breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another vacation another breakdown

We are setting in our campsite with our Truck in the shop. This time we need a motor. It got us to a campsite without me hear much. Went to the store and I was hearing something but I was not sure where but not super load. Came out of the store and it started up and it was making noise. Pulled it next door and left it a tire store on Sunday night. A guy at the gas station gave me a ride back to the campground. The guy at tire tire shop that it was a rod or something but they were not setup to engine replacement. I had it tolled to a nearby shop and he confirmed its the engine. Now waiting to hear what my options are for replacement. I would most like prefer a reman engine if one is available. We are in Muskegon, MI and there is a place that rebuilds engines in Grand Rapids but I would like it repaired by the end of the week.
What is the cost any of you have add with replacing the HEMI engine?
I am guessing right now $3000 for the engine plus labor and other parts.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you get it all done for $3,000 make sure you get a warranty..... b/c most places charge significantly more.

Make sure you get a warranty on the new/refab/etc motor.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New motor already? Jeez...

Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM
gcburkett
Veteran

Its about $4000 with removal and installation. My guess is that since they are using your own core and don't get stuck with bad cores that it is cheaper if the core is good. Hoping at least the block and heads. I had to leaks that I knew about before the rattle. Not as hopeful on the crankshaft, but I can live with a new one of those if needed. I don't think the mechanic that I had it with was so certain about them but spending over $4000 for a used engine with an 105,000 is more that I want to risk. If my block is toast then I might be heading that route anyway.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Burkett, Since you are already in Michigan, you might try a crate replacement motor if the block is bad, I wouldn't be surprised at all if one could be overnighted to you------and it is essentially a complete engine ready to drop in-----with a warranty.

Just a thought!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 PM
gcburkett
Veteran

Stopped by today. They said the block and heads are fine. They will have to use a crankshaft and rod from another engine but they had one. First time I have ever had an engine replaced or rebuilt. Guess when we run autos enough eventually that will happen. We bought a trunk once when I was young that had an engine overall done to it and that engine burnt oil but I would not expect that too much with a rebuilt today. The tricky part is that I will not to tow the next day. So I am going to take it for an evening drive to get some mile on it. The guy at the shop recommended I take it easy towing the trailer home.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Proper break-in procedure says you shouldn't be towing anything for the first 500 miles... but if you've gotta get home you've gotta get home.. lol

Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM
gcburkett
Veteran

I can probably put about 300 miles on it before towing. I have fine out if they want to be replace the engine oil before the tow home or after. I guess in the break in period you are not supposed to drive at one speed to much. Can you keep switching tow/haul mode on and off when not towing to vary the engine speed some and not be totally on back roads. Unfortunately you cannot lock the trans in 3rd to vary engine speed while towing. Can take some back roads but will want to be on the expressways in the
Chicago areas.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Are they using your old pistons and top end. Most of the break in involves polishing up the cylinder walls and rings. If they are using the old top end, the bottom end should be GREAT after a couple hundred.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:24 PM
gcburkett
Veteran

I picked up the truck yesterday around noon. We put about 250 miles on it. Today we tolled the trailer home and put another 250 miles on it. I just finished changing the oil. Seems to be working fine. For the towing part I got about as good of mileage as I ever get towing. They painted the motor and its as clean as I have ever seen it.

Quick Reply: Another vacation another breakdown