3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wipers acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 PM
ghost4321
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers acting funny

When I have my wipers on an intermittent setting they will sometimes wipe more than once. Is this the fix or is it something else?
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...r-diy-fix.html

Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 PM
team_realtree
Professional

Originally Posted by ghost4321
When I have my wipers on an intermittent setting they will sometimes wipe more than once. Is this the fix or is it something else?
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...r-diy-fix.html
It could be your multi function switch. There was a recall to extend warranty coverage of that part on some trucks. My 2006 was replaced at the dealer free of charge a month ago and it was acting up like yours.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:15 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

could fix it, could be multifunction switch or also bad wiper motor, just depends. One of those things will fix it. The diy is basically free, so its worth a shot, fixed mine obviously, that's why i posted it.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 PM
ghost4321
Professional

Ok, guess I'll try the diy first. Thanks guys.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 AM
ghost4321
Professional

So I haven't messed with it yet, but have a new symptom. The interminet fuction quit working completely the other day, low and high still worked fine. Started working again after a couple minutes. Does that narrow it down any?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:01 AM
06Ramin
Amateur

My '06 was doing the same thing. Like others said the Multifuncion switch should be covered under an extended warranty. (I recieved notification in the mail and actually had to show the paper to have it replaced).

Something that I noticed with mine was when it was acting up if I wiggled the multifunction switch around it would start to work. Almost like there was a short in the switch.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 AM
team_realtree
Professional

Originally Posted by ghost4321
So I haven't messed with it yet, but have a new symptom. The interminet fuction quit working completely the other day, low and high still worked fine. Started working again after a couple minutes. Does that narrow it down any?
I didn't need the extended warranty notice when I went in. Just call your dealer and ask if your covered. If they say you need the letter I can send it to you. If you aren't the original owner they wouldn't know to send you a notice.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by team_realtree
I didn't need the extended warranty notice when I went in. Just call your dealer and ask if your covered. If they say you need the letter I can send it to you. If you aren't the original owner they wouldn't know to send you a notice.

I dont think that'll work. Yo got a letter because you were in the Dealer system and is why you didnt need it when you got it fixed. If he didnt get a letter, then he isn't.
Optional extended warranty work by dealer choice only includes original purchasers that owned prior to the factory warranty running out.
Any Mandatory Recalls mandated by Fed Gov't(NHTA), ALL current owners would get something in the mail even if the cehicle went through 45owners.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 PM
ghost4321
Professional

I'm not sure it's the switch, when they weren't working I monkey'd with the switch quite a a bit and it didn't seem to change anything. I wound up leaving it in the highest interment setting and flipping it to low and back when the window needed wiping. When they started working again I wasn't even touching the switch.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM
KyleKarnes
Default I've given up

I've replaced my switch 3 times and rebuilt it before that. Taking it apart and cleaning it worked for a year. Nothing to loose it was broke. The new one worked for almost a year. I just wish they would go down when I turned them off. I've heard post say it could be the computer (pcm) I replaced mine with a used on when they head lights went out. Fixed the head light issue but not the wipers. Next would be the wiper motor I guess.

Quick Reply: Wipers acting funny