3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck jumps when going from park to drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 AM
swamper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck jumps when going from park to drive

for the last few weeks my 02 1500 (auto) has been jerking forward when i go from park to drive.It will do this a few times a week then the rest of the time its fine.also sometimes whenIi put the truck in reverse it wont move then I have to shift to drive then back to park for it to back up it does this a few times a week too.what could be causing this?

Last edited by swamper; 06-23-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check your fluid level.. torque converters exhibit these things when they are low, or when they have drained after sitting for a while..

get rid of your check valve if you haven't already, and install a remote filter which accomplishes the same thing without the threat of starving the transmission.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by swamper
for the last few weeks my 02 1500 (auto) has been jerking forward when i got from park to drive.It will do this a few times a week then the rest of the time its fine.also sometimes whenIi put the truck in reverse it wont move then I have to shift to drive then back to park for it to back up it does this a few times a week too.what could be causing this?

Swamper,

Sorry to hear about your intermittent concerns. Do you noticing any pattern when you are experiencing this issue, such as only in the morning or after it rains; driving up hill or down?

If you are having trouble pin pointing the concerns, I'd be happy to assist in having a a dealer diagnose the vehicle to further review. PM me if you'd like additional assistance or have any questions.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:20 AM
itsUhHemi
Professional

for the last few weeks my 02 1500 (auto) has been jerking forward when i got from park to drive.It will do this a few times a week then the rest of the time its fine.also sometimes whenIi put the truck in reverse it wont move then I have to shift to drive then back to park for it to back up it does this a few times a week too.what could be causing this?
My truck does the same thing when I shift into drive but I think mine does it because my truck idles at 800 RPM's due to having a cam installed. As for the part about it not moving when shifting to reverse that has happened to me a couple times as well but I am not sure what could cause that.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM
swamper
Veteran

what type of tranny fluid should i add if its low im going to check it now thanks.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Should be ATF+4, but verify in your owners manual.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Yeah Kenney is right. ATF+4 for transmission and power steering.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Busdriver9
Professional

for the last few weeks my 02 1500 (auto) has been jerking forward when i go from park to drive.It will do this a few times a week then the rest of the time its fine.also sometimes whenIi put the truck in reverse it wont move then I have to shift to drive then back to park for it to back up it does this a few times a week too.what could be causing this?
sounds like TQ is draining fluid out of it when it sits....try shifting to neutral for a second or two before going to drive....if it fixes the lunge or jerk into gear that could likely be the problem. I was told by my transmission shop that my (07) 1500 does NOT lubricate the transmission while in park....that's why they suggested the neutral first! I have looked everywhere I could think of to confirm this but couldn't find it, however it has certainly solved my lunge into gear! Just a thought I had, hope it helps!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:04 PM
swamper
Veteran

I checked the tranny fluid its not low at all.but the guy who i bought the truck from over filled it by about half a quart.guess its not the fluid then?

Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this problem too, but it didn't show up till I loaded up a superchips 91 performance tune. I tried shifting to neutral but that didn't help. It also happens when I go from reverse to drive.

Quick Reply: truck jumps when going from park to drive