3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Extremely loud Clacking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Rkymtnh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsUhHemi
Are you going to have that same mechanic rebuild it? If you want these copper core spark plugs I would sell them to you for $1.50 a plug and just mail them to you. As far as putting a different cam in there I would go with the comp cam 268. Just put that in my truck about a month ago and I love it. Moesperformance has it for $395.
That's what I'm trying to decide. I'm waiting for his response to just do a rebuild.
My questions are ;
1. Just do the bearings and have the crank checked out ? If the crank is fine, just go with the bearings ? If the crank is damaged ................ then ???????

2. Buy the Hemi rebuild kit (Looks to be around $750 )and get the Cam 268 too ? As long as the crank is alright.
I know , decisions are too be made.

Though I've never worked on a Hemi. I wouldn't have a problen doing this myself, but time is an issue right now. That and my truck will not fully fit into my garage.
This all comes as my wife goes out of town for work for 6 days. When she returns, we leave for vacation the weekend after she gets back. We usually tow my Jeep down to Carolina Beach, N.C. and drive it on the local beach.
And yes, I will take the spark plugs from you. Paypal ok? I'll get the money out by this weekend. Just send me your paypal address.
Thanks

Old 07-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Rkymtnh
Professional

Just got a call from the garage. They said it would be
+$2000.00 if I supply an engine.
$5500.00 for a used engine.
$7000.00 for a Jasper engine.
Those prices include all labor, belts, hoses, fluids and gaskets.
I don't think he wants to just do a rebuild.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Rkymtnh
Professional

I have called another reputable garage to see what their opinion is on the situation.
I'm asking to just doing the bearings. If anyone has any insight or experience on this situation I would like to hear it. Is it worth just doing the bearings on the 5.7 Hemi ? Or, am I just asking for the same problem to happen again later down the road ?

Again, I have already cleaned out the sludge in the head and the inside of the valve covers . I will have the shop do an engine flush and check the oil pump / pump screen and pick up tube while they are at it.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Rkymtnh
Professional

Decided to go with a Re-man from Marshall Engines. So I guess we'll be dropping the truck off sometime next week
before we go on vacation. It should be ready shortly after we get back.
Not looking to go super fast. (It would be nice) A little extra torque would be nice. I do plenty of towing with it.
So if we can afford to go with a few upgrades, we will upgrade the cam. It already has the 2 1/2 duals on it.
So. Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary and Happy Fathers day to me for the next year.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Rkymtnh
Professional

Waiting on the Re-man 5.7 to arrive. This is what happened to my Jeep.

Last edited by Rkymtnh; 08-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Bertil
Rookie

Man, that sucks!! How??! Your jeep I mean.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Rkymtnh
Professional

Whike I was visiting my Grandmother. It had been raining pretty hard for 4 hours. I was driving down a back country road in West Virginia that I've been my entire life. ( this is what I'm told , that I said to the FD, EMTs and State Police ) A deer jump out from the woodline, I tapped the brakes and that is when the Jeep was all over the road. The Jeep went into a spin hit a few trees and came to a very abrupt stop ! ( Hence the 2 1/2 foot crater on the pass side ) I hit my head on the roll cage , Hard ! That's when I woke up. I don't remember the deer, five or so minutes before or after the wreck.
After a trip to the trauma section in Martinsburg, WV. I left with many scratches on my right arm and leg from broken glass out of the windshield. One helluva sore upper body. Blood running down my head and a knot the size of an egg on my head from the roll cage. Bruises are nowing starting to show. I'll tell everyone that my wife beats me.
It has not been a good month me for me. Many parts are still salvagable. If anyone is looking for Jeep parts, not many stock parts though, let me know. I don't think I have the post count to list here or I would.

**If this violates any forum rules, let me know and I will gladly remove it. Rules are in place for a reason.

-Greg

Quick Reply: Extremely loud Clacking noise