3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OEM remote starter no longer works!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Mike649
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OEM remote starter no longer works!

OEM remote starter no longer working! No horn beeps, no light flashing, nothing! The secondary key fob for the remote start does light up when pressed. Changed battery in key fob, no improvement.

Any techs know where to begin an at home diagnostic/repair?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Is your CEL on? If it is, then the remote start does not work. It's some sort of safety thing.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Mike649
Professional

Thanks for the response. The CEL light is not on.

Thinking back I wonder if using my diablo programmer affected it.

The dealer wants $90 just to diagnois! At this point its my only option to fix it.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Mike649
Professional

The local dealership had the truck in today for the remote start. They attempted to solve the problem but couldnt find what the problem is. They said its an older version remote start and they no longer have schematics to diagnosis it. Seems like bull****, but at leasy they didnt charge me.

At this point I could try taking it to another dealer for a second opinion. I thought paying the big bucks for a oem remote starter would eliminate an issue like this. Guess I shouldve went aftermarket!

Anyone know how to diagnois this?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My best suggestion is that you try to find the diagram for your version of the R/S first.

Have you had any work/maintenance/repairs done recently?

Also, does your Key Fob unlock and lock the doors still or has that stopped working as well?

If your key FOBs have both stopped unlocking and locking the truck as well as the R/S has stopped then the Keyless entry module, or the receiver antenna inside your truck might be bad in which case it is a pretty simple plug & play replacement followed by a reprogram of your keyless entry remotes.

That is the most likely problem there.

I've seen something similar happen after window tint with a metallic content is installed on a vehicle, which basically turned the vehicle into a Faraday cage... was a real Pain in the *** to diagnose that. So if you have window tint on all the windows try doing it with one or all of the doors or windows open. (the R/S wont engage with the doors open but the truck should honk once)

You may also want to check for any C-Codes, you can follow the link at the very bottom of my signature for instructions on how to pull those codes, and make sure you post them up EXACTLY as they appear.

Those are my best suggestions at the moment without getting a chance to look at the truck in person.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Mike649
Professional

I havent had any work done lately. The remote starter has worked for years with the tint. The key fobs work like they should, its isolated to the remote start.

C codes, Ill have to read up on that. The dealer said there were zero codes when they checked.

The dealer said they didnt have the schematic or diagram, where would I be able to get it?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Contact the user DodgeCares on here and give him your VIN # so he can find out which R/S module you have and he should be able to help you find the info you are looking for.

Let us know what you find, as it may help someone else in the same situation in the future.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 PM
sunflake9
Amateur
Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Mike649
Professional

Originally Posted by Izero
Contact the user DodgeCares on here and give him your VIN # so he can find out which R/S module you have and he should be able to help you find the info you are looking for.

Let us know what you find, as it may help someone else in the same situation in the future.
I tried as you suggested but have had no response.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Mike649
Professional

Sunflake, I appreciate your help. In the right hands that wiring diagram might be helpful but for me it might as well be in another language.

Quick Reply: OEM remote starter no longer works!