3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

location of Crankshaft position indicator and Camshaft position sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM
JuanL.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default location of Crankshaft position indicator and Camshaft position sensors

I have a 2006 Mega cab 5.7, can someone please give me the location of both the Crankshaft, and camshaft position sensors...I know one of them is located near the transmission/engine block. I am having a shutter/stalling issue when coming to a stop. Thanks for help I am hoping one of these helps with my problem

Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, ive just done these as a matter of fact last week.
The crankshaft positioning sensor, is below the alternator on the left side of the engine as you look st it from thr front near to the timing chain cover. It is hidden a bit, but follow the large insulated cable going near that area and you will come across it.
There's a 10mm single fastening bolt to remove before the sensor twists and pulls out.
The crankshaft positioning sensor is on the passenger side of the engine block towards the back of the engine near to the torque converter housing. Same size bolt on that too.
These sensors have small locking tabs to push down and they then release. These sensors can be difficult to just pull out straight. So, twist and pull at the same time and all will be good.
Remember to disconnect your battery first before replacing these.
However, usuall when these sensors go, they grow s code.
My camshaft sensor thre a 0340 code.
Are you sure it's these sensors that's your problem?
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 AM
JuanL.

I am hoping this is the problem, but if not it is a start. I have had this problem of my truck stalling for while and I am growing frustrated and hoping it wont lead to a huge bill.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your truck an auto transmission?
If so, check your auto fluid levels.
If your low, the auto transmission valve body will suck up air on braking.
These conditions are known to cause stalling issues.
It usually proceeds changing the flat filter in the auto box.
The O ring the filter fits in, is fitted incorrectly and allows air to be sucked into the valve body.
So either check your fluid level and if you've had your filters changed in the auto box, check that you have the correct filters as 2x4 and 4x4 are different and the O ring is good.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Bertil
Rookie

Yes, I suggested the sensor check. They tend to crap out. Camshaft sensors tend to just get clogged up with oil. However, this is what I forgot to say as well - they should throw a code. If there are no codes for that, Id look elsewhere. when I had this exact same problem (3 separate times), it was a sensor each time and once there was no codes thrown. RAMs are tough trucks and all modern vehicles are so computerized, that small problems tend to cause a big headache. It pissed me off stalling in the middle of a turn with about every single electronically controlled thing just shutting off. All caused by a $20 plastic piece of crap

Old 08-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Jpopp

I have a 05 with a 5.9 cummins the code is 340 cam sensor and it also reads 1,3,5 cylinder miss fire would that be a sensor issue

Quick Reply: location of Crankshaft position indicator and Camshaft position sensors