3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

is this the plug for a brake controller hook up ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 PM
rentprop1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this the plug for a brake controller hook up ??

2005 Ram 1500 SLT

I just got an enclosed cargo trailer with brakes and been reading up on brake controllers and almost everything shows them as a blue multi pin plug, when I looked under the dash this is what I found ...looks green and nothing like the others ?? HELP and thanks

Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

nope. If you have the 7-pin trailer hook-up the blue plug is under there somewhere. Mine was tucked under the carpet and hidden. Way up above the e-brake and against the firewall.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 AM
rentprop1
Rookie

my truck came with the standard 4 wire flat plug, I looked around and found no blue multi pin anything, nothing tucked away anyplace....

so how am I gonna install a brake controller someone with an 05 Ram 1500 SLT had to do it in the past ??

some of the brake controllers I looked at had a separate wiring harness, not a direct plug to plug factory made harness, maybe I need something like that ??

Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If you only have the 4-pin which is standard equip and Not the 7-pin, that means you dont have the tow package. You need the tow package in order for your truck to be wired for a brake controller which is what the blue plug is used for.
You need THIS kit. It's $80 and has everything needed.
With that kit, you can certainly buy a Plug'n'play brake controller harness.
I'd reccomend a Prodigy P3 as it has Progressive braking. That's the place where I have bought all my trailer parts. Quick ship and they answer their phone for customer service. The adapter you choose plugs right into the Factory wiring harness that you'll need to install.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
If you only have the 4-pin which is standard equip and Not the 7-pin, that means you dont have the tow package. You need the tow package in order for your truck to be wired for a brake controller which is what the blue plug is used for.
You need THIS kit. It's $80 and has everything needed.
With that kit, you can certainly buy a Plug'n'play brake controller harness.
I'd reccomend a Prodigy P3 as it has Progressive braking. That's the place where I have bought all my trailer parts. Quick ship and they answer their phone for customer service. The adapter you choose plugs right into the Factory wiring harness that you'll need to install.

^ This is correct.

Usually Green Plugs like that are "test connectors" that are used to help diagnose certain systems on the truck during troubleshooting and manufacturing.

All depends on where it goes to after that plug and if there is a male plug nearby somewhere... If there is a male plug that matches that one it is most definitely a test connector.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM
rentprop1
Rookie

thanks DirtyDog

so that looks like everything from under the dash back to under the rear bumper then right ?? so I have to ask, how in the world to you pass those connectors through a rubber grommet, or how does it get from inside the truck to outside under the frame and back to the bumper ??? sorry for what seems like a simple question

Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Izero
Champion

Depends on which rubber grommet you want to go through... most of them can be pulled out so that you can poke a little hole through them and run some wires, but your other option is to get a drill and a long(ish) bit, and drill yourself a new hole RIGHT NEXT TO the existing grommet, and then put your own new grommet in.

Just make sure that both sides are clear of any fuel, brake, electrical lines as well as anything else that might be important and you're set.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

They make 7 pin connectors that plug right into your 4 flat. You will need to run a power wire so your batteries on the trailer will charge. My connector was under the mat behind the e-brake pedal. My truck didn't have the tow package either.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Izero
Champion

He should only have to run the remaining 3 wires for the 7 pin harness... so it shouldn't be too bad.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Yes can do it that wat too. Suprised he can't find the plug under the dash. Took me 30min to find mine. Maybe he will look again

Quick Reply: is this the plug for a brake controller hook up ??