3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lamp out warning light and bells but no light out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 04:00 PM
kenneymc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best advice, as I had this too, go on and change all your tail light bulbs. Also possibly third brake light bulb, but I have never had to change it. Both times on mine it was a tail light bulb.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:00 AM
swamper
Veteran

Originally Posted by kenneymc
My best advice, as I had this too, go on and change all your tail light bulbs. Also possibly third brake light bulb, but I have never had to change it. Both times on mine it was a tail light bulb.

ok well guess ill pickup some bulbs today cause that bell is driving me nuts it rings everytime I drive the truck and not one light is out.The blinkers all work I checked them all.still that thing shouldn't come on until the bulb blows out not before.

Last edited by swamper; 09-05-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM
colbyj1986
Professional

I had the same problem on my 04. Turned out to be a bad connection on the circuitboard for the right taillight . Bought some cheap taillights off of Ebay with the twist lights instead of the flat bottoms.
Fixed my problem.

But I do know that sometimes the filament will be broke just slightly and move to give the signal that it is bad.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:11 PM
swamper
Veteran

Originally Posted by colbyj1986
I had the same problem on my 04. Turned out to be a bad connection on the circuitboard for the right taillight . Bought some cheap taillights off of Ebay with the twist lights instead of the flat bottoms.
Fixed my problem.

But I do know that sometimes the filament will be broke just slightly and move to give the signal that it is bad.
well i hope thats not the problem i bought new bulbs im going to replace all 4 bulbs on both tail lights and see how it does then even though they all work lol.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:36 PM
swamper
Veteran

found the problem today with the lights,the issue was a tail/brake combo light would be out for about 4 seconds when i first put the lights on then it would go on after 4 seconds my buddy said when i turned the lights on and off a few times while he watched all the rear lights.i took off all the scews and pulled that bulb even though it worked the computer knew it was going out for a few seconds when i first put the lights on.when i took the bulb out it was all black so i knew it was bad.Changed the blub no more light flashing or bells ringing man that was driving me nuts all week lol.glad i found the problem.strange that it would go off then back on at first turn on then work fine.thanks all for you're help!

Last edited by swamper; 09-07-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM
kenneymc
Veteran

Yup, glad you found it, really annoying. My understanding is that it works off of resistance. So if the bulb resistance changes outside the tolerance, then it dings the alarm and sets the lamp out indicator, even though the bulb may be working. Basically the bulb was probably on its way out or had a bad connection causing the resistance on the line to change.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 PM
josie.brewster

My husbands dodge has a "Lamp Off" light that is on but all the lights seem to be working fine. I have heard that this can be due to corrosion of the bulb and intend to check that. However, there is also another light that comes on on the dash above the "Lamp Off" light. It is just an orange curve that arcs over the "Lamp Off" light and it comes on intermittantly. What does this signify?
Oh it's a 2004 Dodge 1500.
Thank you
Josie

Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Not a clue. I looked through my owners manual and at my instrument cluster, I don't see what you are talking about.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:24 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by josie.brewster
My husbands dodge has a "Lamp Off" light that is on but all the lights seem to be working fine. I have heard that this can be due to corrosion of the bulb and intend to check that. However, there is also another light that comes on on the dash above the "Lamp Off" light. It is just an orange curve that arcs over the "Lamp Off" light and it comes on intermittantly. What does this signify?
Oh it's a 2004 Dodge 1500.
Thank you
Josie

Josie,

The only light above the "LAMP OUT" light is the "Odometer/Trip Odometer". Could the light that is on above the LAMP OUT light be related to the "Odometer/Trip Odometer" function or could a piece of the cluster be scratched and causing a glare from the LAMP OUT light?

If you have an owner's manual Instrument Cluster descriptions can be found starting on page 142.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:38 AM
marcs1179

I got two new headlights,the whole thing.all lights work,now when i turn them on and use the turn signal the damn bell goes off and it blinks "lamp out"should i replace the back bulbs????

Quick Reply: lamp out warning light and bells but no light out!