3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lamp out warning light and bells but no light out!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 08:35 AM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marcs1179
I got two new headlights,the whole thing.all lights work,now when i turn them on and use the turn signal the damn bell goes off and it blinks "lamp out"should i replace the back bulbs????
My bet is the pins in the headlight signal light socket are configured in the wrong position (s). Try using the signal sockets from the old headlight assembly.
Hopefully you still have them?

Last edited by big guy; 11-29-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:11 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this problem for awhile, turned out to be the circuit board for one of the taillights. I'd get the chime, everything works. My overhead console (I have the better EVIC) tells me which bulb it is. So I pull it and turn the bulb around, worked fine for awhile, then it would do it again. Did a little research, common problem on the 02-05's. So I bought another circuit board (go oem) for $20. Haven't had it since.

The following users liked this post:
Dirtrang0 (10-05-2022)
Old 01-26-2020, 01:40 AM
Acliff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marcs1179
I got two new headlights,the whole thing.all lights work,now when i turn them on and use the turn signal the damn bell goes off and it blinks "lamp out"should i replace the back bulbs????

did you ever figure this out?

Old 01-26-2020, 01:57 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by swamper
ok well I guess ill buy some new bulbs just incase.just wondering how many days did the indicator come on before the bulb blew in your dads truck?days or weeks?
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 04-02-2020, 05:03 PM
Acliff
Default 2004 ram lamp out

I have a 2004 ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 6-speed manual with 140,000 miles.

I bought this truck during the “day time” a few months back. Driving it during the day, the blinkers functioned as they should. It turned to night while driving it home so I had to turn on the headlights. Now, with the headlights on, I would use either blinker and the blinkers flash at 1.5 times it’s normal blinking speed. After a few blinks, the cluster dings and flashes “lamp out”. I shut off the blinker and the alert shuts off. I did specifically narrow it down to when ever the running lights are on (not necessarily the headlights) and I use either blinker, it alerts me of a lamp out. I shut off the running lights and all goes back to normal. This all happens and there are no bulbs burnt out.

Things I’ve tried:
-I assure you, I’ve checked “ALL” bulbs. I even changed all the bulbs just to be certain and I do not have any bulbs out.
(EVERY BULB IN THIS TRUCK)

-I changed out the parking light relay.

-I changed out all battery cables, alternator and both batteries.

-I replaced both tail light circuit boards.

-I checked the grounds for the headlights and tail lights. If I unhook any of them, the blinker flashes at 2 times the speed of its normal blink vs. the 1.5 times it does now.

-I pulled out the TIPM, separated it, removed the circuit board and checked for any signs of corrosion. Absolutely none. I believe this is the new style TIPM because it is coated in an epoxy preventing contact with moisture.

-I checked the headlight plugs for corrosion, absolutely none.

-I have no auxiliary lighting

-I checked the function of the trailer plug and everything works as it should.

-I checked chassis codes, nothing

I’ve read through a ridiculous amount of forums and have found only 4 forums where they had the exact same problem I have. None of these 4 forums had an actual solution. Not trying to point anyone in a particular direction, but the one thing they all had in common, the owners of the those trucks had recently replaced the headlight housings and then this issue started. My head light housings are very new looking. I imagine the previous owner changed them out because they we’re turning yellow like they all do.

Again, it’s not a bulb, it’s not the TIPM and it’s not the tail light circuit boards. this isn’t my daily driver, so it isn’t pressing but this thing is driving me crazy. Any help, other ideas or an actual solution would be much appreciated.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:18 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Acliff
I have a 2004 ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 6-speed manual with 140,000 miles.

I bought this truck during the “day time” a few months back. Driving it during the day, the blinkers functioned as they should. It turned to night while driving it home so I had to turn on the headlights. Now, with the headlights on, I would use either blinker and the blinkers flash at 1.5 times it’s normal blinking speed. After a few blinks, the cluster dings and flashes “lamp out”. I shut off the blinker and the alert shuts off. I did specifically narrow it down to when ever the running lights are on (not necessarily the headlights) and I use either blinker, it alerts me of a lamp out. I shut off the running lights and all goes back to normal. This all happens and there are no bulbs burnt out.

Things I’ve tried:
-I assure you, I’ve checked “ALL” bulbs. I even changed all the bulbs just to be certain and I do not have any bulbs out.
(EVERY BULB IN THIS TRUCK)

-I changed out the parking light relay.

-I changed out all battery cables, alternator and both batteries.

-I replaced both tail light circuit boards.

-I checked the grounds for the headlights and tail lights. If I unhook any of them, the blinker flashes at 2 times the speed of its normal blink vs. the 1.5 times it does now.

-I pulled out the TIPM, separated it, removed the circuit board and checked for any signs of corrosion. Absolutely none. I believe this is the new style TIPM because it is coated in an epoxy preventing contact with moisture.

-I checked the headlight plugs for corrosion, absolutely none.

-I have no auxiliary lighting

-I checked the function of the trailer plug and everything works as it should.

-I checked chassis codes, nothing

I’ve read through a ridiculous amount of forums and have found only 4 forums where they had the exact same problem I have. None of these 4 forums had an actual solution. Not trying to point anyone in a particular direction, but the one thing they all had in common, the owners of the those trucks had recently replaced the headlight housings and then this issue started. My head light housings are very new looking. I imagine the previous owner changed them out because they we’re turning yellow like they all do.

Again, it’s not a bulb, it’s not the TIPM and it’s not the tail light circuit boards. this isn’t my daily driver, so it isn’t pressing but this thing is driving me crazy. Any help, other ideas or an actual solution would be much appreciated.
did you ever figure this out?
Originally Posted by big guy
My bet is the pins in the headlight signal light socket are configured in the wrong position (s). Try using the signal sockets from the old headlight assembly.
Hopefully you still have them?

New headlights..... READ ABOVE... I ran into problems as well. I found the new headlight wiring is configured wrong. I ended up using the old wiring socket from old light and presto.
If Im right you did a lot of work for nothing... Good Luck

Old 04-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Acliff

New headlights..... READ ABOVE... I ran into problems as well. I found the new headlight wiring is configured wrong. I ended up using the old wiring socket from old light and presto.
I don’t have the old wiring.... I imagine in my case, it will be as simple as cutting the 2 signal wires a switching them? A lot of what I’ve done was time and money well spent. I bought this truck primarily for a toy. I’ll go out in the garage here in a minute and tinker with it and let you know. I really appreciate the response!! Thank you.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:00 PM
Acliff

Presto!!! Switched the two outer wires on both the signal lights and no more lamp out alert!!!

Big guy, you are the best!!!!

Old 06-14-2022, 08:07 AM
2 Trucks

Presto!!! Switched the two outer wires on both the signal lights and no more lamp out alert!!!

Big guy, you are the best!!!!
Happen to have any pics of those wires? I know this is an old post but thought I would ask. I will be pulling mine out soon so it might be self-explanatory but…

Old 10-05-2022, 04:33 PM
Dirtrang0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar;[url=tel:3211225
3211225[/url]]I had this problem for awhile, turned out to be the circuit board for one of the taillights. I'd get the chime, everything works. My overhead console (I have the better EVIC) tells me which bulb it is. So I pull it and turn the bulb around, worked fine for awhile, then it would do it again. Did a little research, common problem on the 02-05's. So I bought another circuit board (go oem) for $20. Haven't had it since.
where did you get the circuit board from. I don’t know if that’s the problem I have or not. I put in new bulb in driver front but still no joy. I do have LED taillights but the passenger side is fine so don’t think that’s the issue. I don’t want to go to a mechanic yet. Any ideas besides the CB?

Quick Reply: lamp out warning light and bells but no light out!