3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to forum: First Question - Rear End diagnosis needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:54 PM
bpogs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum: First Question - Rear End diagnosis needed

Hello all. First question of many I suspect. I have used the search function and done my best to research a little before asking but I'm still wanting a fresh opinion if possible.

My diagnosis: At first glance my thoughts are I have damaged my rear wheel bearing(s). I've had rear-end issues with a prior vehicle but it was a 1972 Chevy C-10. I'd like to check with guys that drive these Rams before I assume anything. (BTW, if anybody ever needs help with a 1967-1972 Chevy/GMC Truck... Chances are I have tackled whatever you are trying)

Issue: I'm beginning to hear a slight whine from the rear end at 70mph and up. Seems to quiet down when I put cruise below 70mph. Also, I've picked up a vibration that seems to occur at the same speeds just mentioned. The whine does not concern me as much as the vibration does.

All wheels have been rotated and balanced within last 30 days. No hard hits to potholes or curbs, etc. (I'm ruling out tires as problem) Rear rotors and brakes are brand new, front rotors and brakes have about 15,000 miles and look good to go.

Recent work - I just replaced rear brakes and rotors and yes, the whine and vibration seem to have surfaced after I did this. The vibration moreso than the noise. My thoughts are I might have damaged the rear wheel bearings during my epic 2hr battle removing the old rotors. Thinking back I know that when I was tugging on the old rotors I felt a noticable "clunk" and it felt like the rotor was moving about 1/8 inch in and out during my struggles. I was hoping it was the old rotor going in and out and slowly coming off but hindsight is 20/20. Likely the wheel bearing with all that slack. I have no leaking of fluids anywhere around the differential, tranny, or drive shaft.

So the question is probably simple to you guys - replace the rear wheel bearings? Vibration should go away? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any tips/suggestions greatly appreciated.

2004 1500SLT, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 104,000 miles

Old 09-17-2013, 02:36 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Do yourself the favor and pull the diff cover and do an inspection. Truth is, if you haven't done it since you have had the truck, you should have and it might already be too late. Just have to open it up and see

Quick Reply: New to forum: First Question - Rear End diagnosis needed