3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying First Dodge go with 4.7 or 5.7?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the vehicle has been well cared for, 150K isn't anything to be overly concerned about. The stuff you'll want to check out is mostly front end stuff, ball joints, cv shafts, u-joints etc. Get the numbers on the compression, if you can, all pertinent info concerning maintenance. I have 180K+ in mine, and yes I've had to do some maint. items, overall the truck runs great and many many miles left-------its a 5.7 with a stick

Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This truck is going burry you... If a person could not protect their investment, by making the payments, or trading down, Thiers no doubt in my mind this Ram was driven to the grave by a individual too stupid or c
heap to maintain a vehicle

Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM
kenneymc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah a repo with high miles just screams future problems to me. Had it been low miles maybe another story. But the fact of the tranny issues, high miles, and repo makes me believe the previous owner probably barely made the payments, drove it in to the ground, did little maintenance if any then when he couldn't afford to fix it, let it go back. I wouldn't do it.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 PM
redram2007
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say go with a hemi or you will regret it. I bought my first truck without doing research(stupid). I chose a 4x4 4.7 over the 4x2 5.7 bc I live in Colorado. Everyday I beat myself up for not choosing the hemi, I have put thousands into mods to improve looks and performance. Looks I'm happy and although it's a 4.7 it's a pretty quick one. While ny truck was in the body shop I drove a 13 hemi and boy was it nice, after getting my truck back I could tell the difference but my modded 4.7 isn't as bad as I thought. I'm not at hemi hp but I'm not far off, if I supercharged it I would take a hemi anyday but that's not happening lol.

Quick Reply: Buying First Dodge go with 4.7 or 5.7?