3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best Tonneau Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:58 AM
Cnasty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Tonneau Cover?

I just got a new reg cab 2 black ram and the first thing i want to buy is a tonneau cover. Are they pretty easy to install yourself?
Whats the best website to order from? I like the remote entry ones,but its not a requirement. Whats the best brand and such?
Any help would be appreciated for the first time Ram owner!!

Old 10-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Joey0480
Rookie
Default RE: Best Tonneau Cover?

what do you mean by remote entry? do you prefer hard or soft? I think ebay is your best bet. I got my mopar for a great price off of there.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Avanti
Captain

I'd suggest doing a search here. This has been discussed ad infinitum... the bottom line seems to be that there are so many manufacturers with soooooo many different kinds because nearly everyone wants/expects something a little different. Hence, bottom-line, any given truck owner may find the "best" tonneau for him or herself, but not for the next person.

All the best, whatever you decide on.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Cnasty

The remote entry im talking about is from ********? I was just perusing alot of sites on google and came across the X2000 and I really like it. I should have specified if i wanted soft or hard,definitly a hard one. This is my top choice right now after doing some research. Does anyone have one of these or a similar one? Thanks for all the help,much appreciated.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:38 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it was me, i would go with a mopar one, thats the one i have on my truck, and i love it, and you can install it yourself if you have a helping hand. i like the mopar ones because you KNOW for a FACT that the color will match because that was my main concern since owning a yellow ram. but i would go with a mopar one, just my opinion

Old 10-11-2005, 11:12 AM
mill500
Veteran

Avanti's right about doing a search--there's been a zillion threads on here about them in the past.

Relative to the hard vs. soft the main thing to consider is what, if anything, you'll be hauling. If it's nothing or just small stuff that will fit under the bed rails, the hard is the way to go. It's more secure and arguably looks better. If you plan on bigger stuff, you don't want to be taking that thing off and on all the time. Then a rollup soft works best (which is what I did). Also, if you go with hard and keep just a few things in the bed, I'd suggest one of the large plastic containers and strap it to one of the rear tie downs. Pain in the butt to go crawling up to the front of the bed for the stuff that has slid up there.

Good luck with what you decide.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Mr Mojo
Amateur

I had an Access Cover on my Chevy and it was great, very easy to roll up and roll back. It also locked(though a sharp knife would get through it).

I currently have an Extang Toolbox Edition on my Ram short box with a toolbox.

Installation is a breeze on just about any soft cover.

The Access cover used velcro, the Extang uses snaps. With the snaps it was harder to snap the first time since I had to stretch the cover, but the Access I just rolled out and secured.

The Extang has a lifetime warranty on the frame and 10 years on the cover itself.

The only thing about the Access I didn't like was the way it mounted.

Most covers have the frame on top of the rails, the Access just had two channels that attatched to the side of the rails. Over hard bumps, they tended to slide down a bit. I had the clamps pretty damn tight, but youcan only go so tight before the clamps actually slip and chew up teh grooves that they attach to.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Cnasty

I appreciate all the help on the topic. I am gonna do some more research into the Mopar ones as suggested,but I really love those new X2000 from ******* and they will match paint by VIN codes. Dont know if that will still look the same, but I shall see.
Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Best Tonneau Cover?