3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram 2500 4WD ball joint replacement snag. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 PM
grinchia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ram 2500 4WD ball joint replacement snag. Help!

I had grand hopes of replacing my upper and lower ball joints, but have run into and unforeseen stumbling block: Nothing I've tried so far ( including the bracing a socket with extension against the steering yoke and using the truck's steering linkage to break it loose, as suggested in this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...placement.html ) has succeeded in removing the rotor. It is STUCK on the splined axle shaft and will not budge. If I can't find a way to get it loose I'll have to put it all back together and have the shop do this otherwise straightforward job for big $$$. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Roy

Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 PM
beafire

Originally Posted by grinchia
I had grand hopes of replacing my upper and lower ball joints, but have run into and unforeseen stumbling block: Nothing I've tried so far ( including the bracing a socket with extension against the steering yoke and using the truck's steering linkage to break it loose, as suggested in this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...placement.html ) has succeeded in removing the rotor. It is STUCK on the splined axle shaft and will not budge. If I can't find a way to get it loose I'll have to put it all back together and have the shop do this otherwise straightforward job for big $$$. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Roy
I am in the process of replacing my ball joints also. I just removed the four bolts that hold the unit bearing and removed the axle shafts along with the bearing. I just kept them all together. good luck.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you having a hard time getting the hub assembly free from the knuckle. The axle can stay attached to the hub assemble. I was able to remove the hub assembly with the socket method but I am read of other having a more difficult time to the point of destroying the hub assembly. A good hub assembly runs around $200.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:00 PM
grinchia

I used the word 'rotor', but in fact it is perhaps more correctly termed the hub assembly. I have been reading that it it sometimes a bear to remove this. I may try again tomorrow afternoon with a buddy on hand to whack things with a hammer while I am applying pressure with the steering (with the engine running of course). I've hit it with penetrating oil for tonight.

Wish me luck!

- Roy

Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 PM
abarmby
Champion

Here ya go.
Hope this helps?
Post up if it does.
Al.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Kevno6
Veteran

Take out the axle as one piece and bring it to a machine shop. Same problem i had we did everything including heat. even after we took axle out we tried a 20 ton press and didn't work. A machine shop will do it in no time. Hope you get it fixed.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 AM
grinchia

Thanks for the helpful feedback everyone. I removed the rotor without too much difficulty by whacking it strategically with a wooden block/hammer. The hub assembly was a beast but EVENTUALLY came loose with beating, penetrating oil, power steering pushes from all directions, chisels, and prybars. Removing the old ball joints put considerable strain on the rented ball joint press, but not nearly as much as pressing the new ones in! WOW...those things are a very tight press fit. It took 3 hours and I still haven't put the brakes back on, but the worst of it is over. With my limited free time I'm afraid I'm going to have to call it a moral victory to have accomplished one side, and let the shop do the other

It was fun though.

-Roy

Old 11-08-2013, 04:07 PM
abarmby
Champion

Should have placed the lower ball joints in the freezer overnight and heated the lower control arms up a bit with a torch. They almost drop in. very little effort needed.
Al.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram 2500 4WD ball joint replacement snag. Help!