3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 shaking through the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:00 PM
waynofish
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 shaking through the wheel

Just drove my truck a bit today as it has been sitting for the past week. I don't drive it too much now. I drove about 7 miles to a point and then on my way home I noticed it shaking really bad around the 40MPH mark. Then at slower speeds as well including stopping. It is a similar shake to badly balanced tires or my old (years ago) bias super swampers did when cold. My truck has had a slight shake at the 53/55mph mark due to balancing (stick on balance weights have come off) but this was a lot worse.

I rolled down the window and did not hear any strange noises. I let go of the wheel and the truck would track straight with just a slight right bias within a couple hundred yards, but it's time to rotate my 35" cooper SST's. The right tire has always worn a little more then the rest, but not bad, I chalk that up to a leveled front suspension.

I got home and checked all the lugs and hubs. The LEFT FRONT WAS WARM TO THE TOUCH on the lug nuts. Actually a little on the hot side.

I did not break out the jack yet but I did put in in 4wheel drive to see if there was a hub issue. It went right in and came right out of it as well. I drove it for a turn in the street to make sure it actually engaged, which it did without an issue.

I also turned the wheel while watching the tires and as soon as the wheel moved, so did the tires. So I don't think anything such as ball joints or tie rods are loose.

As far as I can tell, I did all possible tests without lifting the front end, which is my next step.

Any ideas? Perhaps wheel bearings? Breaks?

Truck is an 07 1500QC with a level and 35" cooper mud terrains. 60,000 overall with about 15000 on the tires.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hot lugs usually means the wheel bearing is toast.... Check the wheel bearing and go from there...

Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 AM
waynofish
Rookie

Thanks, that's kind of what I'm suspecting (wheel bearings). I've had larger wheels and 35" tires since the truck had a couple thousand miles on it so it's whole life has had a bit more stress then stock. I also drive it on the beach some so perhaps salt getting in the bearings can end their life early as well.

It's been years since I've changed bearings and that was in a 79 bronco so as of yet I haven't tackled a Dodge. I'm assuming it's not to difficult? Any special tools needed like a hub wrench or equivalent? How would I be sure if it's the bearings? I vaguely remember feeling a looseness in the hub assembly on my old bronco while shaking the tire back and forth while lifted. Is that a correct way on the newer Dodge as well?

Thanks again.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 AM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

If you jack that side up and can shake the tire then its gotta be a wheel bearing, another way to tell and be sure is to remove the wheel and all brake parts then rotate the hub. If you know what a good bearing feels like then a bad one will be noticable. My truck had a bearing go bad, it was making noise at higher speeds but the bearing was still tight. After rotating it a few times it was clear that was my problem. Replacing them is pretty straight forward, worst part is getting the hub out of the knuckle. Make sure you have a big enough socket and wrench to remove and replace the CV axle nut.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they sell it as a fully assembled unit too, which is what I would suggest... it will save you a lot of time and frustration.... I am also pretty sure that 06 and up has the non-serviceable assembly... which means you cannot remove the bearings and press new ones in.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Timken tamper hubs. I just replaced mine and it took about an hour per side.

Quick Reply: 1500 shaking through the wheel