3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Chrome" Grill

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013 | 09:46 AM
nobby
|
Professional
Default "Chrome" Grill

The "chrome" on the grill on the hood of my '08 is disbonding...suddenly.

I washed the truck in November and it was fine. Since then cold weather, snow and an ice storm. I thought the ripples in the chrome was ice...but when I touched it, it was actually lifting off the grill structure.
Something common?

New / used grills expensive?

Old 12-29-2013 | 03:01 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Mine as well. I noticed it early this past Spring. I just stayed off the one bubbled spot with the pressure wand and hoped for the best.
It hasnt gained size so far, but now another winter is upon us. Not too sure what I'll be doing. If I have it painted, the bumper will be as well. I'm going to let it go for now because it's only one spot and is hardly noticable

Old 12-29-2013 | 04:04 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

It's just painted plastic. Sand it down and hit it with some spray paint and make it look like new.

Old 12-29-2013 | 04:12 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
It's just painted plastic. Sand it down and hit it with some spray paint and make it look like new.
Yes, painted plasitc. I'm sure we all agree..... but you just throw it out there like it's a total cake walk. While I'm pretty good at painting, there's no way I could paint better than how it currently looks with a few minor imperfections.
Not to mention rattle can paint is very soft. Booth paint is 2-part mix with hardener. Rattle can wont last for squat on the front of your truck!

The first problem, is being Chrome. I dont know of any spray paint that would give you back that smooth Chrome appearance. Especially not better looking than a few minor imperfections that we are having. I am aware they have Chrome spray, but have you ever used it? it's rather cloudy looking and has the typical orange peel look that paint generally has.
2nd. Would you spray paint your grill on the truck in your sig? I doubt it. You'd want to bring it to a Professional shop with a paint booth to have sprayed and paint matched. If I ever decide to paint the grill and my bumpers, they will be going my buddy's shop.

Old 12-29-2013 | 04:22 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Yes, painted plasitc. I'm sure we all agree..... but you just throw it out there like it's a total cake walk. While I'm pretty good at painting, there's no way I could paint better than how it currently looks with a few minor imperfections.
Not to mention rattle can paint is very soft. Booth paint is 2-part mix with hardener. Rattle can wont last for squat on the front of your truck!

The first problem, is being Chrome. I dont know of any spray paint that would give you back that smooth Chrome appearance. Especially not better looking than a few minor imperfections that we are having. I am aware they have Chrome spray, but have you ever used it? it's rather cloudy looking and has the typical orange peel look that paint generally has.
2nd. Would you spray paint your grill on the truck in your sig? I doubt it. You'd want to bring it to a Professional shop with a paint booth to have sprayed and paint matched. If I ever decide to paint the grill and my bumpers, they will be going my buddy's shop.
I wouldn't spray paint anything on my brand new truck, but it also doesn't have any peeling paint. If I still had my Durango, I'd at least give it a shot. Whats the worst that can happen? You mess up the paint job and have to get it done professionally? So you're out a few hours of time and maybe $40 poorer, but it may be worth taking the chance to save a few hundred.

Old 12-29-2013 | 04:28 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

ehhh. Last time I threw rattlecan on something, my buddy told me to clean it off before he would touch it. Said his material would not stick to it and would cause tons of fisheye. I ended up throwing the mirror set away and getting new aftermarkets to start fresh from.

I also had him price me out my grill and bumpers. He said if I do them now before they get all chipped/peeled and/or rusty, it would only be $250-300 for everything depending on the price of my paint. That's if I remove and bring him the parts of course. If I wait, he'll have more prep and headache and price would likely be upwards of $400.
If he throws prep right over the top of the Chrome, it will basically bond together and prevent it from peeling off. The bumpers are solid, just the grill has a few nicks here and there. I'm sure paint would cover it right up and clearcoat makes it tough as nails.

Old 12-29-2013 | 04:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

I like your front bumper. I hate my '08 3 piece design which cosists of a Chrome base, the painted top piece and the a black plastic over the top of the painted piece..lol While I like the black plastic part to set wrenches on without fear of scratching the paint, it has faded just like all of the other black plastic trim(wiper cowl, mirrors, door handles, back bumper top piece, tailgate spoiler)
Drives me nutz

Old 12-29-2013 | 04:39 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I like your front bumper. I hate my '08 3 piece design which cosists of a Chrome base, the painted top piece and the a black plastic over the top of the painted piece..lol While I like the black plastic part to set wrenches on without fear of scratching the paint, it has faded just like all of the other black plastic trim(wiper cowl, mirrors, door handles, back bumper top piece, tailgate spoiler)
Drives me nutz

You know, I've seen this magic product on the infomercials what restores faded plastics..... Wipe New or something along those lines.

Old 12-29-2013 | 05:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
You know, I've seen this magic product on the infomercials what restores faded plastics..... Wipe New or something along those lines.
I tried the Meguirs Restore. Does an outstanding job BUT..BUT...when it rains, it runs down the paint and leaves streak marks. These marks look like rainbow when dry and then when the sun comes out and dries it all up, it STAINs the paint. The sun basically bakes the restore lube into the clearcoat.
I frantically scrubbed my paint with rubbing compound one day when I noticed it and it finally came out after my arm was ready to fall off. I would not recommend any plastic restore product after going through that.
I used to own a Detail shop and should have known better. Those products are merely thick lotion with oils that run when wet and stain when UV light hits them.
Believe it or not, silicone grease lubricant does a pretty good job but still runs the same although it doesnt stain the paint.

Old 12-29-2013 | 06:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I ma painting one for a guy now on his 05. He wants it blue to match his truck.

Sand it down, plastic adhesion promoter, primer, base color, clear coat and then cut/buff/polish.

I have a 06-08 grill sitting here. Want me to do one for you?

Quick Reply: "Chrome" Grill