3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Driveshaft help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Calvert
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft help

Hello gentleman, been a little while since I posted last being I sold my 03 Ram and just recently bought an 04. My current truck is an 04 Ram HEMI quad cab long bed 4x4. Now recently my driveshaft broke and fell it on the highway. I brought it In and had the driveshaft completely re-built and put back in. Now my question is tat when I put it back in I noticed I have a very little amount of play in it when it is in neutral or in parked immediately after being in neutral. When in drive it's solid with no play and when it's in park immediately after being in drive there is no play. Is this normal? Been trough a lot of projects on these third gen rams but honestly hadn't faced this one yet. Any help or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I've got a couple of questions.

When you said the driveshaft broke, do you have any pics? A driveshaft is one long solid piece of material so I'm not seeing how they rebuilt it unless your u joint broke.

When you say there is no play, where are you talking about? Are you talking about in the gearshifter or when the goes in gear or are you getting under the truck and rocking the shift?

Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

When you said the driveshaft broke, do you have any pics? A driveshaft is one long solid piece of material so I'm not understanding how they rebuilt it unless your u joint broke.

When you say there is no play, where are you talking about? Are you talking about in the gearshifter or when the goes in gear or are you getting under the truck and rocking the shift?

Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

When you said the driveshaft broke, do you have any pics? A driveshaft is one long solid piece of material so I'm not understanding how they rebuilt it unless your u joint broke.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:18 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure Hope it was U-joints. I would not trust a welded up repaired driveshaft.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Calvert
Rookie

Il look for pics, I know I took some but not sure how to upload via the iPhone app. The cap for the rear driveshaft split around the u joint. I had them replace the rear tube being a 2 piece driveshaft, the cap, the rear flange, all universal joints and rebalance it. I mounted it back up and when I'm under the truck grabbing it I can turn it about 1/8th of an inch that is when the truck is in neutral or park after being in neutral. If the truck is in drive or park after being in drive it has no play at all.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

that sounds good to me. If you have too much play then I would suggest checking the rear end.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Alittle play is ok.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Calvert
Rookie

Thank you gentleman. Picked this truck up on the cheap and I'm sure il be investing time and money into it.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft help