3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Leak Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:51 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, last question.
I've pretty much sourced all my parts, and decided that when I go to replace the water pump, gasket, thermostat, and gasket, that I should go ahead and at least check out the timing chain, and replace the timing cover gasket.

Does anyone know where I can get some good guides to help me get this stuff done? Haven't done it on a Ram yet.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Melhuishpa
Amateur

Yep. Just got done putting in a water pump, thermostat, radiator and heater hoses. Mine was an intermittment leak, but only when cold-below 40 (lol). Watch the serpentine belt routing. Mine is nowhere to be found in the manual or under the hood. Thank goodness for the internet. I've added a page to my Haynes. Good luck.

Last edited by Melhuishpa; 01-19-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Melhuishpa
Amateur

You may want to do a fan clutch. I replaced that as well. If the bearings go out in the pump, it can take out the fan clutch and vice versa. Unless you have an issue involving the timing cover, I'd leave it alone.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

The only issue I'm having is a little leaking coming form somewhere around the water pump. I don't have any other issues or noises, so I don't think I should go into replacing the fan clutch. You make a good point about not messing with the timing cover. Although I may have to end up tearing it apart to replace it later, right now my main concern is just trying to stop this leak so I can flush and replace coolant, and move on with the rest of my maintenance.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Replaced my water pump last week. Couldn't have been easier. Pulled the radiator and shroud, took loose the rad and heater core hoses and the belt, then the pump. I don't have a clutch fan

Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 AM
Melhuishpa
Amateur

My only issue with the fan clutch is that my truck has 155,000 miles on it. I did not want a bad fan clutch to take out my new pump. After reading all the posts about aftermarket pumps, I went with a Mopar pump. An ounce of prevention.... At any rate I thought it had lasted long enough.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

So after much debate, I've decided to order the water pump with gasket, thermostat with gasket, radiator, and coolant directly from a dealer, in order to help ensure quality of parts and fitment. While I'm at it, I'll obviously be flushing and replacing coolant. I've read several different forum threads here and there, but there doesn't seem to be any definitive answer on the best way to flush and refill.

From what I understand, the easiest way is to open the petcock, let it drain. Remove the thermostat housing, remove the thermostat, and reinstall the housing. Fill up with water, leave the radiator cap off, crank the truck, turn on the heater, let it run for a little bit, then drain. Repeat until water is coming out clear. Then finally drain, remove the lower radiator hose as well, replace thermostat, and start the fill/burp procedure.

Does this sound about right?

I will be doing this either Saturday or Sunday.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
Yes, definitely replacing that, as well as the gaskets for it and the pump. I'm led to this because I decided I needed to fix my leak before I did my scheduled maintenance of flushing and replacing the coolant.

Not to mention, it's also time for me to change oil/filter, drain the transmission pan, replace filters, and fill back up, change spark plugs, drain and fill transfer case, front and rear axles, change brakes, new tires, alignment, have to replace a broken fog light, and recalibrate a couple gauges. Going to have some busy Sunday's for a couple weeks!
Hey man where at in South East are ya located?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Originally Posted by itsUhHemi
Hey man where at in South East are ya located?
Beaumont Area

Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Ah okay. I'm a couple hours away from you just was gonna lend a helping hand. It can easily be done within 2 hours. And if you are buying a new radiator there's no need to flush the system. You can rent a fan clutch tool from O'reillys that is made specifically for Dodges to get the fan clutch off. It's made my Lisle and it has a long handle with 2 nipples at the end that fit right into the pulley on the water pump. Then just take a big crescent wrench with a piece of cheater pipe to break the nut loose on the shaft.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Help!