3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Leak Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Help!

I loaned a cooling system pressure tester, one of those with the gauge and hand pump on it, because I've been losing coolant, but can never find the leak. I can smell it when I get out of my truck, but never see any on the ground. I hear a small hissing noise from the drivers side radiator at the top, but don't really see anything leaking out there. The pressure does drop consistently, so I know there's a leak somewhere. I took a couple pictures, I can see coolant/water running out from somewhere, but I don't know where it could be coming from.

I bought a bottle of Bar's Liquid Aluminum radiator and heater core stop leak, however I'm not sure if this will be of any use, since the main issue does not seem to be the radiator.

I need to drain and refill my coolant, but before I put in 2.5 gallons of HOAT at $18 a gallon, I want to fix this leak.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Do not put that stop leak in. That stuff is terrible. Looks like it maybe from the w.p. Weep hole.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Where is that weep hole?

Old 01-19-2014, 02:04 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

bottom of the water pump.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:15 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

From what I understand, coolant leaking out of that hole is a warning sign for failure of the water pump? Perhaps I should go ahead and replace the water pump and water pump gasket? I have to use my truck for work six days a week, and cannot afford to have it go out on me. I'm kind of in a bind and really need to get this taken care of pretty soon.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:50 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, time for a new water pump. Since you're going to drain it anyway, do a flush. You won't need the HOAT then.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:08 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

I just took it out for a drive, after filling the radiator with water, to return the pressure tester. A little smell of coolant burning, looked underneath at the water pump, and it's dry. It has 165K miles on it, so I guess I should just go ahead and replace it to prevent it from failing.

My next question is, which water pump should I buy? I have an O'reilly's, napa and advance in my town. I am thinking about using Napa, they have a water pump, new, for $97, and a remanufactured one for $62.

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Yep, time for a new water pump. Since you're going to drain it anyway, do a flush. You won't need the HOAT then.
I planned on flushing it, since I don't know what's in it for sure, and I've probably added a fair bit more water than coolant, as well as I the last time I put coolant in it, I'm pretty sure I didn't get the right kind, although I bought what the chart at the store said was good for it. I am going to go ahead and buy the HOAT coolant, because while it might save me $20 bucks now, the coolant should last several years, and knowing it's what the manufacturer recommends is worth it.

Well, I guess I'll have to figure out how to replace the water pump and flush the cooling system so I can get ready for next weekend.

Last edited by JoshuaAckley; 01-19-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Do a t stat too. You are correct on the leaking from the weep hole.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:01 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Yes, definitely replacing that, as well as the gaskets for it and the pump. I'm led to this because I decided I needed to fix my leak before I did my scheduled maintenance of flushing and replacing the coolant.

Not to mention, it's also time for me to change oil/filter, drain the transmission pan, replace filters, and fill back up, change spark plugs, drain and fill transfer case, front and rear axles, change brakes, new tires, alignment, have to replace a broken fog light, and recalibrate a couple gauges. Going to have some busy Sunday's for a couple weeks!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Good luck with all that maintenance.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Help!