3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Leak Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working around Dayton lately. But I planned on trying to replace it Saturday evening when I get home, or at least start on it. I certainly appreciate the offer! I'm not going to buy a new radiator, at least not at this point, because the one on the truck is still working fine as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have a crescent wrench that big. I think instead of getting the tool to hold the pulley, I'll use a c-clamp or something, or jam a screwdriver in the holes, because I don't have to worry about damaging the pulley. I'll rent the fan clutch wrenches instead. Perhaps someone has a pipe wrench I can use on that nut to avoid waiting a week for the refund for the tool rental.

Other than that, does what I've come up with for flushing the system sound about right? If it is, then I'm going to start flushing it tomorrow, that way I can just drain it, and go right into disassembly to replace the water pump.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
I've been working around Dayton lately. But I planned on trying to replace it Saturday evening when I get home, or at least start on it. I certainly appreciate the offer! I'm not going to buy a new radiator, at least not at this point, because the one on the truck is still working fine as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have a crescent wrench that big. I think instead of getting the tool to hold the pulley, I'll use a c-clamp or something, or jam a screwdriver in the holes, because I don't have to worry about damaging the pulley. I'll rent the fan clutch wrenches instead. Perhaps someone has a pipe wrench I can use on that nut to avoid waiting a week for the refund for the tool rental.

Other than that, does what I've come up with for flushing the system sound about right? If it is, then I'm going to start flushing it tomorrow, that way I can just drain it, and go right into disassembly to replace the water pump.
I actually live in Crosby which is about 15-30 from dayton. But since you aren't going to get a radiator then yes you are correct about the flushing procedure.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:04 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Okay, good deal. I got my parts ordered, should be here tomorrow afternoon. Temperatures are predicted to be in the low 20's tonight until sometime tomorrow, with ice and snow, and warming back up to be in the 60's Saturday. Hopefully the weather will be on my side, otherwise, I might have to go over to my brother in laws house and pull his tractor out so I can use his garage, haha.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Ok. Did the deed today. No leaks so far. replaced the thermostat, serpentine belt, and the water pump.

However, the truck is running a little warmer than usual. Not sure if that's due to the fact that the old thermostat badly needed replaced (it fell apart taking it out of the waterpump), or what. But the temp runs pretty steady, although its a little higher than the halfway mark. It ran a bit lower than the halfway mark before.

Also, I undid the drain on the radiator, left the thermostat out, put the water hose in the thermostat, turned the truck on, and let the water run through the motor and out of the water pump at the thermostat housing. waited until it was clear, turned everything off, took the lower radiator hose off, opened up the radiator drain fully, waited until it was drained, buttoned everything back up. I only got a gallon of distilled water and a gallon and a half of coolant back into the radiator. I've left it running, tried squeezing the hoses, took it for a drive, propped the front drivers tire up, rocked it, and I can't get any more fluid in it. I don't know if that's cause there was some left over fluid and water in there or not. I'm not sure what to do. I've got to drive 100 miles tomorrow for work, and will be down a pipeline in the middle of nowhere, and really don't want to have to worry about anything going wrong.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Here's a couple pictures. First, the old waterpump (new one has an "open" impeller design, doesn't have the piece like this one that covers the blades on the impeller), then the old thermostat, one with the seal part that came off when it was taken out, and another of the top, with all of the gasket fallen apart. and the third one is where the temp gauge is at now, and it stays pretty steady right about there.

Last edited by JoshuaAckley; 01-26-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 AM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The temperature should be a little less than that amount on the other side of centre. You probably need a new radiator.
Steve

Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 AM
abarmby
Champion

Been talking with you on another forum bud. My Tstat also fell apart like that as well. In fact the last 2 did. Crap if you ask me.
I tried the 180 Tstat at one point, but I got a low temp CEL so I put a stock one in.
That's something you could try if the temp doesn't come down....try a 180 tstat.
That makes your temp usually stay between the 1/4 and 1/2 way mark on the temp gauge.
Al.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:42 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

What coolant did you use to fill the truck back up?

Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

I used the HOAT Mopar Coolant, bought it from the dealer.

Pretty sure I found the problem. My temp gauge was off. On a whim, I checked the calibration of all of my gauges, and found that my temp gauge at what was supposed to be half, the gauge showed about 3/4 on the range. Disassembled the dash, separated the gauge cluster, adjusted and checked calibration with the disassembled cluster plugged in (be careful so you don't break any needles, or needle stops!), once needles were reading were they should be on the gauge calibration, assembled the cluster, plugged it in to double check I didn't knock anything off, then reassembled.

Turned the truck on, let it idle until temperature steadied, heater off, needle hasn't gone above the halfway mark yet. May be snowed in tomorrow (in Southeast Texas!?) so I'll probably take the opportunity to double check the calibration of the needles. For the record, I haven't had any CEL's, and the radiator hasn't pulled any drastic amount from the overfill reservoir.

Abarmby, what's your name on the other forum?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 AM
abarmby
Champion

LPGHemi

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Help!