3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Did the dealership do this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 PM
armophob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the dealership do this?

Last June, I took my '03 in to the dealership because of AC troubles. They found it was a bad EVAP Temp Sensor and after pulling the dash they found the Evaporator leaking and all the EVAP door foam falling apart.

So they replaced the sensor, EVAP housing unit with the blend doors, Evaporator, and all the other housing unit doors.

Well now here in Florida this week, it got cold enough on the way home from work the other evening to turn on the heat for the first time in over a year.
The next morning I found a puddle of pink liquid on my garage floor coming from somewhere below the middle of the passenger side.
When I opened the door, I found the floorboard soaked with a puddle of pink coolant.

So I am taking it in on Monday for them to take a look. Obviously it is the heater core or a connection to it.
They have already given me the skeptical eye over the amount of time that has passed and I am gritting my teeth about the fight I am anticipating.

My question is to someone who has been under there or did that operation, how difficult would it be for this to be the fault of a tech who was fixing the AC with the dash out?
Or is it completely probable that this could all be just terribly coincidental like I expect them to try to sell me on?

Old 01-25-2014, 11:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Anytime I remove the heater box to either replace the heater core or the evaporator. I would recommend to replace both. Because I don't seeing the customer pay twice when the job should have been done the first time. Did the tech and adviser recommend to replace the heater core at the time? Because in writing a story on the repair order, I would write what was recommended and if the repair was declined.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:29 PM
armophob
Amateur

Originally Posted by master tech
Anytime I remove the heater box to either replace the heater core or the evaporator. I would recommend to replace both. Because I don't seeing the customer pay twice when the job should have been done the first time. Did the tech and adviser recommend to replace the heater core at the time? Because in writing a story on the repair order, I would write what was recommended and if the repair was declined.

No, it was never suggested. They just called and said it is going to be $1,400 to do the job.
I asked about how coincidental these two things are and she went silent and then she asked if I still wanted them to fix it.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're a victim of BOHICA.
Bend Over, Here It Comes Again

Old 01-27-2014, 04:13 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seems like a high price. I think I have seen a MOPAR heater core for about $100 so they are saying $1300 for labor. Its not an easy job but I don't think its a 10 hour job especially since they already had it out not long ago to do all the other repairs. Get other quotes and they will probably match it.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

10 Mins tops to replace the heater core, with the heater box already out.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Should defiantly have been done at that time, unfortunately you probably have no recourse. Let that be a lesson to the rest of us. Dealer should have recommended it no doubt, but they are not obliged to.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, thats just not right they didnt recc'd for the heater core to be done prior. They should be willing to work with you on the price because of it.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I know most of our guy's will recommend, the addition parts. But its up to the adviser to relay the information to the customer and let them decide. The dealer didn't do their job and advise the member about replacing the heater core. The dealer is obliged to sell parts and labor, that's why they have a repair shop. Not just to work on warranty repairs.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 AM
armophob
Amateur

Originally Posted by master tech
I know most of our guy's will recommend, the addition parts. But its up to the adviser to relay the information to the customer and let them decide. The dealer didn't do their job and advise the member about replacing the heater core. The dealer is obliged to sell parts and labor, that's why they have a repair shop. Not just to work on warranty repairs.

They say it will be done on Wed because the parts are on order. But I thank all of you and I will use this to try to leverage them into a discount.
Although I am convinced they damaged the heater core during the A/C repair, I like the idea of shaming them because they did not offer to replace the simple things while the major repair was in progress.

Can anyone think of anything else I need to have done while the dash is out?

Quick Reply: Did the dealership do this?