3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mirror Defrosters

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:00 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izero
... With these Dodge Door Panels I highly suggest you get yourself a set of plastic panel removal tools from harbor freight..

The pop clips on these doors tend to break very easily, so it helps to have the right tools for the job, instead of using screw drivers ...
Dodge hasn't used those for years. I doubt anyone uses those things anymore. One screw in the sail panel, one near the release handle and two in the bottom of the panel. Remove the release handle and lift the door panel off the door.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:19 PM
AKCallahan
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
First you can check for Active DTC's if you have a scantool and/or tuner. These wont set off the CEL, but be Active internally. If you have no Active DTC's, then that is a good sign and proceed with below. Removal of door panel: Not hard at all. Couple #3 phillips and a torx for the door handle. From the wiring diagram, it appears to be DB/GY & BK for the Heated mirror wires. When Monitored: With the ignition on. Battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts. If you have proper voltage, then it is going to be a mirror element issue. It is possible the connections have become loose on the back but that's rare. They could have corrosion as well! "The heating grid behind each outside mirror glass cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, the mirror glass must be replaced"
Check for a code?? Why...

Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Would seem unlikely this minor problem would set a code. I suspect there's no communication between the mirrors and the computer.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AKCallahan
Check for a code?? Why...
A short will set a DTC, but since one is working, I doubt that is an issue.

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Would seem unlikely this minor problem would set a code. I suspect there's no communication between the mirrors and the computer.
As stated above regarding DTC codes.
Also, they are on the same line so if one works, then communication isnt a problem unless there is a cut in the wire.

OP, just replace the glass already..lol

Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Dodge hasn't used those for years. I doubt anyone uses those things anymore. One screw in the sail panel, one near the release handle and two in the bottom of the panel. Remove the release handle and lift the door panel off the door.
As I said in my nest post on this thread, they use them for the window controls and the lock cover... They break very easily, and screw drivers screw up the finish/surface of them too.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

I've had all my door panels off multiple times - never had a problem with the switch modules.

Quick Reply: Mirror Defrosters