3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mirror Defrosters

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
AKCallahan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mirror Defrosters

Only the passenger side of Twitch's mirror defroster works. The driver side stays frozen over and doesn't show any attempt of defrosting.

Anything I can do myself to fix this?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check voltage to the connector behind the door panel that covers the area where the mirror connects to the door...

If no voltage from the connector on the truck side then there is an electrical problem. if you have voltage then you might need a new mirror w/ defrost option.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:46 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Connector or perhaps the wiring harness in the door. Remember, your truck may use switched grounds instead of switched hots. I could not find a pin-out in the S/M, so I'm not sure of which is the heat lead.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 PM
AKCallahan
Professional

The door panel isn't all that hard to remove is it? Which harness is for the mirror or will it be obvious?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

First you can check for Active DTC's if you have a scantool and/or tuner. These wont set off the CEL, but be Active internally. If you have no Active DTC's, then that is a good sign and proceed with below.

Removal of door panel:
Not hard at all. Couple #3 phillips and a torx for the door handle.

From the wiring diagram, it appears to be
DB/GY & BK for the Heated mirror wires.

When Monitored:
With the ignition on. Battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts.

If you have proper voltage, then it is going to be a mirror element issue. It is possible the connections have become loose on the back but that's rare. They could have corrosion as well!

"The heating grid behind each outside mirror glass cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, the mirror glass must be replaced"

Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by AKCallahan
The door panel isn't all that hard to remove is it? Which harness is for the mirror or will it be obvious?
It's very obvious. It should be right behind the mirror mounting area, so that little almost triangle area that is on the inside of the door in-line with the mirror... that's where it should be.

With these Dodge Door Panels I highly suggest you get yourself a set of plastic panel removal tools from harbor freight..

The pop clips on these doors tend to break very easily, so it helps to have the right tools for the job, instead of using screw drivers.

Even if it's a switched ground he'll be able to measure voltage across the harness, so that's the first easy check.

With defrost units it's usually either a connection problem, or the heat element broke, which means you'll be better off just replacing the mirror, or at the very least the mirror glass w/ heater element.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Izero
With these Dodge Door Panels I highly suggest you get yourself a set of plastic panel removal tools from harbor freight..

The pop clips on these doors tend to break very easily, so it helps to have the right tools for the job, instead of using screw drivers.
Huh.. I took my door panels off a couple of times and I dont have any pop clips. When I remove the phillips screws and the torx to get the door latch off and out of the way, the door panel simply lifts up. No pop clips like other vehicles.

I merely grabbed the door handle and lifted. The door panel has those hook style arms that just drop into place. Maybe I'm not fully remembering everything, but regardless, easiest panels I've ever removed!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Huh.. I took my door panels off a couple of times and I dont have any pop clips. When I remove the phillips screws and the torx to get the door latch off and out of the way, the door panel simply lifts up. No pop clips like other vehicles.

I merely grabbed the door handle and lifted. The door panel has those hook style arms that just drop into place. Maybe I'm not fully remembering everything, but regardless, easiest panels I've ever removed!
Pop clips for the window controls, and lock bezel.

You've gotta take the lock bezel out before you put the door back on or else you'll be fighting with the stupid thing...

Also, Just looked at Harbor freights website.. they don't sell the plastic trim removal tools anymore...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...with+hammer.do

griots does though! and I'm sure other places do too...

Old 02-05-2014, 11:04 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I didnt take the control panel out(just unplugged it) But yes, I did remove the small door lock trim(2"x2" piece).

I also purchase a 6 or 8pc plastic trim remover from HarborFreight. I think they were $6.99. Well worth it. I've used them hundreds of times.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I didnt take the control panel out(just unplugged it) But yes, I did remove the small door lock trim(2"x2" piece).

I also purchase a 6 or 8pc plastic trim remover from HarborFreight. I think they were $6.99. Well worth it. I've used them hundreds of times.
Same here, best $7 investment I've ever made.... lol

Quick Reply: Mirror Defrosters