3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 dodge ram 1500 heater control ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 AM
dss56
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 dodge ram 1500 heater control ?

I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 quad cab with the regular heater control. see picture. Seems It will not upload the picture sorry

I noticed yesterday that it seems the control is partially working.

Starting from the right
the wind shield defroster
the defroster and feet symbol
the feet symbol
all seem not to work.

What I get is when i put on the feet/leg symbol the heat comes out but also come out the windshield vents also.
Seems those 3 symbols dont make any difference what on Im on air comes out both lower and Top windshield.

The the next 4 symbols seem to work the upper and lower dash vent and feet symbol works ok as the next three work ok.

Anyone might have an idea what might be the problem.

I just had a windshield put in last week and Im hoping they did not drop something down the defroster vents. I dont hear any noise and put the defroster vent on full blast and nothing.

There is no noise when changing the control like a broken control door.
Wondering if the control is bad I can live with it but would like to know if something is wrong.

Please chime in if possible. thanks

Last edited by dss56; 02-19-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Melhuishpa
Amateur

These are usually signs that the mode doors in the HVAC plenum (sp?) box are broken. Do a search on blend door or recirculation door, and you should find a lot of information. Do a google on Heat Treater and blend doors and go to the Heat Treater website. They have a video that walks you though the diagnostics and fixes.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
dss56
Professional

Looks like the mode door #2 for the floor defroster is bad either the motor or the blend door.

Has anyone replaced this one without removal of the dash?
Seems this one is the hardest one to replace.

luckily it is blowing 3/4 defroster and 1/4 feet so I can live with that but would like to fix if I can do without removing the dash.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Melhuishpa
Amateur

Heat Treater instructs you how to do just that. I have that job ahead of me too. I'm not comfortable cutting into my box and breaking welds. So, I'm going to take out the box to replace all doors, evaporator, and heater core. There may be others on here that have done the job using the Heat Treater instructions that can give you some advise on that issue.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:41 PM
dss56
Professional

I hope someone has done the mode 2 door replacement the floor vent to defroster. If anyone has done this replace the mode 2 door with out removing the dash please let us know where to find pictures and steps to do this.
HeaterTreater just mentions doing this but no steps because they say the dash has to be pulled.

thanks

Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 AM
dss56
Professional

I guess i'm mixed up with the blend doors can someone tell me what

Blend mode door 1 does
Blend mode door 2 does.

My 3 symbols to the right do not work the feet and defrosters the air is stuck like i posted above 3/4 defroster and about 1/4 air for the feet vents.

I shut the truck off and I could here the servo motors working for those mode but the door is stuck and most likely broken.
What door mode would this be and where might it be located? Can it be replaced without removing the dash?

All the other modes work the dash vents and lower vent but when I try to use them with the dash vents air is coming out the defroster vents.

I would like to fix without removing the dash if possible.

I have gone to the heatertreater site and the door behind the steel bracket is not described on how to remove because of how hard it will be.

If this is the door causing the problems

Does anyone have directions on how to remove the door and motor behind the steel bracket. Only thing mentioned is to drill the spot weld and cut the bracket. I have no problem doing this as I will bolt it back together and splice with steel plates or aluminum. I just dont want to remove the dash.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Buggsy
Professional

If you don't want to cut the plenum and welds, it's not possible to do this without removing the dash. Removing the dash also means evacuating the AC and having the refilled.

However, I took a 3/8 wooden dowel and cut it to 10 inches. I wedged it up the floor vent from the driver's side, and pushed the door open. If you look with a flash light, you can actually see the door right there. This is only a work around, but the fix is generally cost prohibitive. If you don't want to fix it yourself, the lowest quote I got to fix it was $650 labor, plus parts.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 PM
dss56
Professional

I dont mind cutting the plenum and metal bracket in front of that.

I just called local Chryslers dealers here in Boston area and all 3 said 8hrs work and $1200+ for the job well not gonna pay that for sure.

So I don't mind cutting the plastic and metal bracket pretty handy in that department.

Problem is I need to know where to cut the plenum to get to the mode 2 door.
The metal bracket behind the cup holder i can cut and sheetmetal it back together no problem.
Just been searching the net for 2 days and seems no one has done it cutting the plastic. Seems everyone has pulled the dash for the fix.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Buggsy
Professional

Oh, if you're willing to cut there are lots of pics out there.

I know it's not cool to link to other forums, so if you google "dodge ram mode 2 door replacement" the forth result down has lots of pictures. I was going to do it but ended up guilting myself out of it. If you're willing to go that far, it's not much further to just pull the whole plenum and do it right. It's just the extra cost of the ac refrigerant removal/replacement.

https://www.google.com/#q=dodge%20ra...%20replacement

Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 PM
dss56
Professional

Thanks so much for the info been trying for 2 days to get info on the cut pattern for the door mode 2. I just got a reply from Heatertreater and they say with the symptoms I supplied its the mode 2 door.

When I do this I will take some pictures and post.

Again thanks so much

Quick Reply: 2004 dodge ram 1500 heater control ?