3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock Tailgate Lock Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:42 PM
awiese40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Tailgate Lock Trouble

Hey guys, I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4. My truck came from the factory with a tailgate lock that works in tandem with the door locks. There is a toggle switch to the left of the steering wheel near the e-brake release that allows the tailgate to remain locked independently of the doors.

My tailgate lock has quit working and is stuck in a locked position. I have verified the toggle switch is in the correct position and even toggled between on/off, testing in both positions while attempting to unlock the tailgate. I have removed the panel covering the door hatch and lock assembly and observed the locking mechanism engaging to lock the handle but it will not disengage.

Have anyone seen this issue before? I am hoping for a simple fix. I don't know if it a wiring issue that has gone bad or the locking mechanism itself... or an separate fuse to disengage the locks or toggle switch.

I am new to the forum so please bear with me. I hope I have provided sufficient detail but if not, please let me know.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try pulling the negative cable off the battery.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:18 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you tried lubricating the entire assembly?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is a manual unlock mechanism (meaning a key to put in and turn) can you unlock the gate via that method?

If not then you might need to try and test currents and/or Voltages at the switch and at the tailgate harness. If you can't get any current then we'll have to start looking at the TIPM and other systems.

I would also look for any corrosion on any of the wiring harnesses at the tailgate.

Personally as my first step, I'd try to take the lock assembly out completely and see if it's locked up mechanically or electronically.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM
awiese40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing what a little lubrication will fix! I appreciate all the comments. I checked the wires and made sure they were secure then lubricated all components and it magically started working. Thank you @66three83!

@Izero, this is not a manual lock but I will keep your suggestions handy as well just in case!

Thanks again everyone for the quick responses. I really appreciate it!

Old 02-24-2014, 11:26 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tailgates are prone to locked up linkage. I have to pull my access cover and lube twice a year, as well as the catches on either end. If I don't, my tailgate will not latch. Glad to hear that was all it took!!

Quick Reply: Stock Tailgate Lock Trouble