3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 1500 Trailer Brake blue connector MISSING????

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:18 PM
RSwipe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 1500 Trailer Brake blue connector MISSING????

Hi. Ok so I know the electric brake controller connector under the dash can be difficult to find some times. But, I can not find mine and I have looked and looked. The truck has the 7 way connector fitted and wired into the harness leading from the rear bumper forward, it has the fuses fitted in the fuse box in the engine bay for Trailer Battery and lights etc. But I swear the connector for the brake controller isn't there. Is it possible that it's not been included in the vehicle main harness? Or, could it be that it really is tucked deep under the sound deadening material, against the firewall? There is a large electrical junction box attached near the steering column that has a white cover and 8mm bolt on top. According to some posts and pics I have seen on the net, it can be fixed to the top of this box. I can see the plastic tabs where a connector could be clipped, but they have a layer of dust on them. I don't think any connector has ever been located there. So, question is do I have to start hacking the material covering the firewall in hopes of finding the connector, has anyone ever found it buried behind all that carpet and sound deadener? Or is it possible that the truck has everything else as far as the TOW Package is concerned, EXCEPT the connector?????? The 7 way connector and wiring all looks factory fitted, the truck is loaded, makes sense that the PO payed for the TOW package. This doesn't make sense..... . Would the stealer be able to tell me if the truck had the necessary setup when it left the factory?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need an adapter harness to hook it up. See these two links.

Since you don't have the Blue connector it's likely your truck didn't come with the tow/haul package... so you'll need to get the full installation kit.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-dbc.aspx

Last edited by Izero; 04-01-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:38 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it took me 1/2 hour to find mine...

mine was Taped to a cable and it was behind the cable and a bracket.....
I bought my truck New.. so no one changed it...
upper left floor area 1/2 way up under the dash.. above the floor mat.

if its not there.. like the other person said... your truck did not have trailer towing package from the factory.... just install aftermarket wiring. its 4 wires.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:11 PM
RSwipe

Thanks very much for the info guys.
Izero, I checked out the video and the blue connector in the video is definitely not in my truck.
chuck hammer, I have searched everywhere that you suggest but pretty sure now that it's not there. So, my other question is. The four wires you talk about, is that a 'kit' that I can buy specific for the task, or a case of getting the info from here and wiring myself?

Thanks very much for your input guys, much appreciated.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 PM
RSwipe

Got the information. Thanks guys.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by RSwipe
Got the information. Thanks guys.
Good, I was gonna say it was in the link I posted.... If you have the OEM 7-PIN I am really surprised that it's not there... but someone could have always added the 7-Pin after the fact... so make sure you check each Pin for continuity.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 PM
RSwipe

Yeah, i'm gonna be going at it this weekend. I spoke with etrailer and they were 100% sure that the connector should be there no matter if the truck has a tow package or not - at least the guy I spoke to was. I will be checking the pins and wiring as soon as I can. Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by RSwipe
Yeah, i'm gonna be going at it this weekend. I spoke with etrailer and they were 100% sure that the connector should be there no matter if the truck has a tow package or not - at least the guy I spoke to was. I will be checking the pins and wiring as soon as I can. Thanks again.
It won't be there is someone simply put a 7-pin connector on the rear and tapped into the 4-pin for the power they needed.

Sometimes people have trailers and don't like using the converters so they just take the easy way out.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:59 PM
nicknc

Old thread, I know, but I just went through a similar issue after installing the factory 7-pin harness that connects everything EXCEPT for the brake controller.

Went to the dealership and was told that unless the truck came with the factory towing package, it would not have the blue under-dash connector for the brake controller. If you have a loose blue wire and no blue brake controller connector, then the dealer or someone else installed your 7-pin tow package. There is no way to order that blue connector and its associated harness, according to my local dealership.

I had to T-splice the brake controller into the cold stop wire coming off the brake pedal harness (white with tan strip on my 08), run a new ground and power to my battery in addition to connecting my brake controller to that blue wire on the 7-pin conversion harness you can buy from the dealership.

Works great.

Quick Reply: 2004 1500 Trailer Brake blue connector MISSING????