3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disappointing throttle response - how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 12:27 PM
RedSS454
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disappointing throttle response - how to fix?

Getting smaller rims/tires could help, but I don't see why you would want to do that. Do you have 20's or the 17's? The taller the tire/rim is, it makes the gears higher (numerically lower). So, your 3.92 gears and 20" rims and 270/60/R20 tires may make that rear....a 3.55(?)...maybe even numerically lower? That really hurts off the line performance.

If you were to switch to...lets say a 15" rim (just for discussion purposes) such as 275/40/R15's would make your rear end seem "lower" (numerically higher) then what you are used to. This would also help in the off the line, but mess with the speed-o and looks of the truck, IMO.

Just remember that horsepower is not what gets you moving...its all tourqe. Tourque is what spins the wheels at low RPM. That's why the CTD have all that tourqe...to pull down houses with. As previously siad, there are all ways to increase TQ and HP, but it all depends on how much you want to spend. 2.5" exhaust, high flow cats, headers, intake, S/C etc are all ways to increase it, but all cost $$$.

Just remember...the truck is fast for a truck. 5000lbs was not ment to get up and go like a Camaro.

Chris

Old 10-16-2005, 12:39 PM
D500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disappointing throttle response - how to fix?

I am scratching my head on this one for sure...

The 20's will reduce your axle ratio down to about 3.43 to 1. Drive a hemi with 17's and see what you think. I have no issues with my truck, throttle response is great. The best mods are exhaust and cold air intake to start with. BTW, Dodge will not put a Hemi in a 2wd truck without the anti-spin rear axle...not a option.

Quick Reply: Disappointing throttle response - how to fix?