3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Left headlight out

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 PM
mountaindewd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left headlight out

I had a headlight fart around for a couple weeks. Would work one time and not the other. Now it is out for about a month and the bulb isn't the problem. I couldn't find anything in the fuse/relay box for headlight/headlamps. Wiring from main harness behind fuse box to the plug and the plug look fine. Any ideas what the problem could be? I haven't checked for current.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just to be clear, you say you DID try replacing the bulb, correct? I've had both headlights and marker lights go wonky like that before. Both times it was the bulb, as it's been at least 8 months on the one with no further issues.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:47 AM
stenerson
Veteran

Could be a lot of things. In my case it was the FCM (front control module).

Old 05-08-2014, 07:19 AM
chris65
Rookie

Check if you have power on the connector. If not, get $680.00 from your bank account, go to dealer and purchase a tipm.
Sad but true.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

many 2002 to 2006 has a electronic fuse box... or the TIPM...

corrosion gets inside it.. and you end up with several intermittent.. electric problems.

starts with head light or starts with tail/brake lights.. and progresses into other circuits.

I got lucky so far. it only attacked the trailer light circuits.. and I wired around it using an aftermarket trailer light system.

BUT do not go MAD and replace the "BOX" ... proper wire/electric TESTING is needed... could be a bad bulb or socket ...TEST it.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 AM
chris65
Rookie

Originally Posted by chuck_hammer
many 2002 to 2006 has a electronic fuse box... or the TIPM...

corrosion gets inside it.. and you end up with several intermittent.. electric problems.

starts with head light or starts with tail/brake lights.. and progresses into other circuits.

I got lucky so far. it only attacked the trailer light circuits.. and I wired around it using an aftermarket trailer light system.

BUT do not go MAD and replace the "BOX" ... proper wire/electric TESTING is needed... could be a bad bulb or socket ...TEST it.
yap- I installed the new box, fixed all wiring issues the previous owner did to go around fuse box replacement (right headlight directly connected to left headlight and connector cut off from harness, rear harness cut off and wires drilled together that the tail light works).
I also got me a Plastic Showercap for the women who don't wanna get wet under the shower and fitted it over the box after I installed it. I also placed a rag on top to make sure, no water or moister runs into the box.
checked it couple of times- after car wash and rain (more car wash than rain, because we do not have that event too often here) and seems like it's ok.

the box is really on a stupid location. should be inside under the dash- there is room enough for it.

good luck.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:35 PM
mountaindewd

TIPM...say it ain't so! New bulb. The high beam works, no low beam.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

TIPM was introduced in 2006 I Believe.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

If you did replace the bulb, I know on the jeep compass you need to clear any codes to make the headlamps go on. Try disconnecting the battery and let power down. Then put cable back on and see if the lamps come on.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:03 PM
mountaindewd

I did install a new bulb. The right headlamp works fine. The left, however, has no low beam, only high beam.

Quick Reply: Left headlight out