3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L engine OVERHEATING

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 PM
my03dodgeram1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L engine OVERHEATING

I have an 03 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.9L engine. It has 190,000 miles on it.
Recently I have been having overheating issues. All of the years I've owned it (original owner) I've never experienced this. I have, however, replaced the water pump because it siezed on me. I have flushed the radiator and heating core. I continually (everyday) I have to add water.
Oil is not milky and I cannot see indications of a leak. It does smell like hot water though. I recently noticed that the A/C condenser fan does not engage (I have heard the distinct sound before) but now I don't hear it. Before I purchase parts, is this a problem with overheating as I described or are there other items I need to look at as well

I look forward to responses
David G.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

A coolant system is fairly simple.

Thermostat
Radiator/hoses
heater core/hoses
water pump
head gaskets
Low coolant

That's all you have. If both upper and lower hoses are hot and stiff, you have pressure and circulation. If not, the pump might not be circulating or something might be blocking it (hoses, rad, stat). If all of that is good, then the head gaskets might be suspect and a pressure check needs to be done

Old 06-29-2014, 01:08 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

A coolant system is fairly simple.

Thermostat
Radiator/hoses
heater core/hoses
water pump
head gaskets
Low coolant

That's all you have. If both upper and lower hoses are hot and stiff, you have pressure and circulation. If not, the pump might not be circulating or something might be blocking it (hoses, rad, stat). If all of that is good, then the head gaskets might be suspect and a pressure check needs to be done

Old 06-29-2014, 02:17 AM
archemedes74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can rent a pressure tester from most parts stores, pressurize the system see if you get any leaks, pull oil cap and listen for air (have heard a few whistle at me). If that checks out do a cylinder leak down test and watch for bubbles in the coolant.

Quick Reply: 03 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L engine OVERHEATING