3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 hemi Keeps losing oil, but no leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Pull the intake off and look inside. Aren't our intakes designed with a sort of catch baffle for the PCV system?

Also every car uses oil from the factory.
None of mine do. Actually, the oil from the factory was removed many years ago .

Old 08-20-2014, 01:06 AM
Will_V2Lab
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
None of mine do. Actually, the oil from the factory was removed many years ago .
I see what you did there.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:53 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

recently I did a valve spring job on mine and replaced the valve seals, my oil was disappearing as well (no hood scoop) But I'm going to say that my seals were worn pretty bad around 130k with regular oil changes. I assume whom ever owned it before me for the first 60k didn't keep up with oil changes & ran cheapest grade oil they could find sadly

I have almost no oil loss these last 2800 miles

Old 08-24-2014, 08:45 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems to be very common with these engines as they get up close to 100,000 miles. My old Grand Cherokee (4.7 HO) started losing about a half quart every 2000-2500 miles. I did 5000 mile changes with full synthetic, so I just got accustomed to pouring in half a quart right in the middle of oil changes.

I'm thinking blow-by, because when the engine grenaded at 102,000 miles (much documented dropped valve seat) I did a complete engine rebuild and it never lost any perceivable oil until I sold it almost a yeat after the rebuild.

My '04 Hemi, which I just sold last Monday, has always stayed right at the full line with 5000k changes (also full synthetic) but, it only has 57,000 miles on it.

This has ALWAYS been an issue and the fix used to be to use thicker oil as an engine got older. I've stopped a good many GM 305, 327, 350's and Chrysler 318, 340 & 360s from losing oil simply by going to 20w50 oil up around 80k miles or so. Problem is, todays engines are EXTREMELY viscosity specific (especially cylinder de-activation engines) and you just can't put syrupy oil in there anymore.

My advice, gradually move towards a high mileage oil, like do a 50% the oil you've been using and 50% high mileage (contrary to opinion you can mix oils as long as viscosity is the same) on the first change then all high mileage therafter. I've also seen good results by substituting one quart of oil with Lucas Oil Stabilizer at change time. If it's low now, top it off with Stabilizer and see what that does.

And obviously, check the level often...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-24-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Seems to be very common with these engines as they get up close to 100,000 miles. My old Grand Cherokee (4.7 HO) started losing about a half quart every 2000-2500 miles. I did 5000 mile changes with full synthetic, so I just got accustomed to pouring in half a quart right in the middle of oil changes.

I'm thinking blow-by, because when the engine grenaded at 102,000 miles (much documented dropped valve seat) I did a complete engine rebuild and it never lost any perceivable oil until I sold it almost a yeat after the rebuild.

My '04 Hemi, which I just sold last Monday, has always stayed right at the full line with 5000k changes (also full synthetic) but, it only has 57,000 miles on it.

This has ALWAYS been an issue and the fix used to be to use thicker oil as an engine got older. I've stopped a good many GM 305, 327, 350's and Chrysler 318, 340 & 360s from losing oil simply by going to 20w50 oil up around 80k miles or so. Problem is, todays engines are EXTREMELY viscosity specific (especially cylinder de-activation engines) and you just can't put syrupy oil in there anymore.

My advice, gradually move towards a high mileage oil, like do a 50% the oil you've been using and 50% high mileage (contrary to opinion you can mix oils as long as viscosity is the same) on the first change then all high mileage therafter. I've also seen good results by substituting one quart of oil with Lucas Oil Stabilizer at change time. If it's low now, top it off with Stabilizer and see what that does.

And obviously, check the level often...
Also don't stop using high mileage when you start... or so I've heard. Something about the additives that swell the seals will cause them to shrink back down after switching away from high mileage, causing more leaks.

I've had some great results just running Valvoline SynPower. Stuffs great, IMO.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:01 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also don't stop using high mileage when you start... or so I've heard. Something about the additives that swell the seals will cause them to shrink back down after switching away from high mileage, causing more leaks.

i think valvoline is one of the best oils out there, imo. others may disagree. but its a very clear oil. i also heard that napa oil is valvoline oil in a napa bottle, but it could be false info.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Valvoline Synpower is actually my oil of choice. I've sent three used oil tests out to Blackstone for analysis after 5000k miles. Mobile One which had marginal numbers and Blackstone recommended changes at no more than that 5000 mile interval for max protection. On both the Royal Purple and Valvoline tests, the numbers were almost identical and significantly better than Mobil. Both reports recommended I could go 7000 miles and re-test but I never went more than the 5k.

Since Synpower is a hell of a lot cheaper than RP, I went with it.

Although my new truck is a CTD and I'm thinking 12 quarts of Rotella every 15,000 miles will be the ticket...

Old 08-24-2014, 03:54 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Valvoline Synpower is actually my oil of choice. I've sent three used oil tests out to Blackstone for analysis after 5000k miles. Mobile One which had marginal numbers and Blackstone recommended changes at no more than that 5000 mile interval for max protection. On both the Royal Purple and Valvoline tests, the numbers were almost identical and significantly better than Mobil. Both reports recommended I could go 7000 miles and re-test but I never went more than the 5k.

Since Synpower is a hell of a lot cheaper than RP, I went with it.

Although my new truck is a CTD and I'm thinking 12 quarts of Rotella every 15,000 miles will be the ticket...
i run shell rotella 15w40 in my vmax. works good for the wet clutch system, eliminated my slip for now. will be doing new clutches over the winter, with a fresh oil change.

Quick Reply: 04 hemi Keeps losing oil, but no leaks.