3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Controlling Body Sway

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 PM
joeylead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Controlling Body Sway

I have a 2003 QC 4X4 5.7. I never noticed how bad the body sway/roll was until after i was driving my dads 2000 tundra access cab for 2 weeks. After driving that, i was shocked how my body sway i had. Now i know they are very different trucks, the tundra is smaller, lighter and has a coil on shock suspension, but it really schooled my ram in control.

So here is what i have, i just replaced my front sway bar bushings (frame mounts and endlink bushings) with energy suspension poly bushings. I am running gabriel max control shocks on all four corners. the fronts are brand new (the first set blew out in less than 20k but autozone replaced them for free) and the rears have 20k on them. After the poly stuff and new front shocks it got better but i want more control.

so this is what i am thinking, should i replace the shocks with something better, like bilsteins or ranchos (are is there a better option)? I am also wondering if adding a rear anti sway bar would help. I am looking for the best solution. 4 new shocks could run about 500 and the bar would be about 220. my truck has 122k on it, do the torsion bars wear out? can they be upgraded as well? The rear springs are in good shape and are not sagging.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:22 AM
tantofolder
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Hellwig RSB and I love it.It won't turn your truck into a race car,but you will notice better handling in turns.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:36 PM
joeylead
Rookie

So you would say that its worth the money for the rsb? I figure I could install it in one night. Doesn't seem like it would be to hard to do.

Originally Posted by tantofolder
I have a Hellwig RSB and I love it.It won't turn your truck into a race car,but you will notice better handling in turns.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:07 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by tantofolder
Ditto that!! Best mod I've done on my Ram.

Originally Posted by joeylead
So you would say that its worth the money for the rsb? I figure I could install it in one night. Doesn't seem like it would be to hard to do.
Absolutely worth the money! Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. Word to the wise: RUN THE NUTS all the way down the threaded rods BEFORE you install them. A little WD-40 and an extra fifteen minutes makes the install WAY easier!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:48 PM
tantofolder
Professional

I can't say whether it will be worth it for you,but yes it was worth it to me.Install is pretty easy.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:04 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Front and rear sway bars go a long way.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:48 PM
joeylead
Rookie

Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to look to get a rsb setup. First im goingto have to replace the front shocks. This secsecond set of gabriel max control shocks, while the dampen the ride ok, make such a banging noise. (Yes they are installed correctly). So I am going to research what front shocks to get next. I'm debt with the gabriels. I've had good luck with bilsteins on my toyota trucks, but what's good for the ram?

Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Monroe Reflex here. Are you sure the banging is the shocks and not control arms/bushings/ball joints?

Old 09-12-2014, 12:23 PM
joeylead
Rookie

Banging was probably to strong of a word. I'm sure its the shocks, the reason I changed the front shocks was becauseb I was trying to fix a front end squeak. I took the front shocks out with the intent to just lube the bushings. When I took them out it was clear they were shot. No reboun and they made a squakin g sound when compressed. While they were out, I was jumping on the bumper to cycle the suspension and it was silent. These Gabriel shocks are junk. He'll, even the clerk at AutoZone said they were total sh*t when I asked if they carried another shock brand. All they have are kyb shocks and I've never used them.

Quick Reply: Controlling Body Sway